1.4 has random crashes on windows 10.

As the title says. Since 1.4 it started just randomly crashing. The whole screen will go black for a second, and when it returns rstudio is gone (plus windows nightlight is reset). At first I thought it was a clash with Teams, , then spotify, firefox, edge, chrome, nada. As best I can tell it's at random. It can crash even if I just open Rstudio and do literally nothing.

I even tried upgrading to 1.4.1114 to see if there were any bugfixes, but nothing. I also noticed R has become a pig to install packages in windows, as if you don't specify INSTALL_opts="--no-multiarch" anything requiring compilation will fail (no 32 bit).

Could it be an issue with R 4.0.4 (since it already has some glaring bugs and oversights)?

I have no idea but I don't want to have to spend a day screwing around to make VS code R friendly to get around it. Has anyone else had this issue/know a work-around?

It sounds to me like an issue with your video driver. Have you tried changing to software rendering?, you can change it by holding the Ctrl key while opening RStudio, then you should see this menu and change the "Rendering Engine" to "Software".

You can also try updating to R 4.0.5 since it has some bug fixes.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.