About plagiarism

Hi all, hope you fine against disasters.
congratulation for every winners.

I expected more than 30 applications will be winner but part of them achieved it.

Here are my personal winners

• FIFADash
  • Hangman (WINNER)
  • Icars
  • MICA_shiny
  • riddlr (WINNER)
  • Sidewalkqualiry
  • WesAndersonActorNetwork

After submission extension

• BareBones Trading Card Game
  • Bob Ross
  • COVID-19 Data Visualization Platform
  • COVID-19 in Japan
  • deminR (WINNER)
  • Dude, Where's My Bus (WINNER)
  • interactingan
  • Kupe - Data explorer
  • Metabosseek
  • Month Hall Problem
  • Probablby Pancakes
  • ReDaMoR
  • rna-seqDRaMA (WINNER)
  • Trickerion
  • whatRshiny

Anyway,

but I'm curious about one issue, the follow up applications like Hexmake

Which has very simillar function with equal purpose of other submission polaroid with 3 days earlier.

Also,

a lot of COVID applications, they have very similar purpose and looks with just little variation.

For example, one of winner Material Design Corona/COVID-19 Dashboard is also follow up result of COVID-19 Data Visualization Platform
after almost 2 weeks it submitted.

I think there's enough time after contest to review each submissions (almost 3 month), but Rstudio employ made mistakes hard to understand with this issue.

I don't know the exact situation whether

• They didn't look submissions in detail. so they didn't detect.
  • Or they recommend to make plagiarism.

but all of them are really disappointing.

I should consider this copy-cat position in next year.

Again, congratulation for all winners.

Yea I completely agree with you. When I first see the COVID19 material dashboard I realised it is copy of My covid 19 dashboard and see what that won....Hahahah...

Yes, at least they should provide criteria or explanation can be understand.

Ok not that I want to go down that road but @jhk0530, looking at the git history of {polaroid} and {hexmake},

So if anyone should be publicly accused of plagiarism, I don't think it should be {hexmake}.

And as a side-note, they did explicit why they chose it:

The application area is quite straightforward but the technical details of this app are what set it apart from other apps with a similar goal.

See:

2 Likes

@jhk0530 I vouch for @colin and confirm that he is one of the prominent members of the Shiny community. He has written Shiny (among others) books and has been teaching R and Shiny for several years. By the way, he is the author (him and his team) of the {golem} package, which is rapidly becoming a staple in the development of robust Shiny apps. If anyone has plagiarized some work in Shiny, he is more likely the victim and not the perpetrator.

How shame on me.

I understand your mean.
still I like your work, and don't have mean to blame on it or you.

Sorry again. It s all my fault with my misunderstand.

but let me excuse, I didn't notice existence of your first commit on github or twitter.
all I know is just

I submit, and after 3 days you submit similar work.

That's reason why I was acting silly.

Again, sorry for interrupt your good day.

I cannot read sarcasm or irony on such forums, sorry. Just to clear things up, my first commit was also on March 13th, while @shubhrampandey 's was at March 7th (corrected, sorry, looked at wrong page first). But I did not copy nor took any inspiration. There were already several boards out, such as the one from Johns Hopkins itself. This topic was too hot not to work on it :fire:

Hi All, this thread accuses people of unethical actions for which they definitely did not do.
I am going to hide this thread. (hiding a thread: it still survives, but won't appear in search or on the homepage).
I personally feel Mine justified well the selection of winners well with the blog post, but we'll take another look at how this was communicated. The selection of winners is understandably a challenging task, and may seem arbitrary. Sorry for any confusion in that process.

As a nice follow-up for a large group of people that submitted great apps, we'll invite you to join the showcase of shiny apps at shiny.rstudio.com/gallery. This will highlight your work on a highly visible forum, and hopefully help a lot of other people looking to learn about how to build great apps from your example.

Hahaha....My first commit was on 7th March....Please take a look closely before pointing out.

Thanks
Shubhram

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.