Access windows network shares from R Studio

Hello,

We are trying to access windows server file shares from R studio but not able to mount file shares with same permissions defined in windows server. How can I access file shares from R studio server?
We are using LDAP authentication - Active Directory and Windows file shares secured by Active Directory security groups.

R studio Version Info:

platform x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
arch x86_64
os linux-gnu
system x86_64, linux-gnu
language R
version.string R version 3.5.0

Are you using RStudio Server Pro or the open source version? For RStudio Server Pro you could make use a custom PAM session to mount network shares, c.f. https://docs.rstudio.com/ide/server-pro/r-sessions.html#pam-sessions.

I am definitely not an expert in the Windows space, but one possibility may be using Kerberos. I know many Windows shops set up Kerberos integration with RStudio Server Pro, because Kerberos tickets can be used to interface with a Windows Server (or other Windows infrastructure) and pass appropriate privileges / permissions.

One note is that you would generally just not want to use such a network share for the users' home directories, as I believe we have seen some issues using CIFS / Samba for home directories on RStudio Server Pro. But mounts elsewhere on the filesystem and passing the permissions accordingly should be possible! Unfortunately, I am not especially familiar with specifics of the integration between the Windows Server / share and the linux operating system.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.