Add a user to hosted rstudio when being run as a Docker container

On my EC2 I have hosted RStudio and if I want to add a new user I can go to the terminal and sudo useradd dave then sudo passwd dave then set a password.

Then, if I send Dave the link for our hosted rstudio instance he can login with his user name and password and get to work.

On a separate project the dev ops team provided me with access to rstudio via the rocker/verse image. They provided a username rstudio and shared the password with me so I can login as rstudio.

I tried to create a new user using sudo adduser dave. I then set a password with sudo passwd dave and entered a password.

When I then logout of rstudio and go back to the /auth-sign-in page and attempt to login as dave with the newly created credentials, I am unable to. The screen attempts to load for a moment then I see a popup message "rstudio initialization error, Unable to connect to service"

Screen:

When I create a new user in this way on the 'regular' EC2 instance of hosted Rstudio, the new user can always login. Not so in this case when it's a Docker container.

How can I add a new user when running rtsudio via a docker container (rocker/verse)?

Nudge on this post. As a team of two we are currently unable to both use our hosted Rstudio instance at the same time since I cannot seem to be able to create a new rstudio user in the same way when running via rocker/verse Docker container.

I'm reading this page of the rocker site: https://www.rocker-project.org/use/managing_users/

But it's unclear if I should be able to add a new user to rstudio in the usual way by just using linux commands sudo useradd like I tried?

According to this askubuntu post:

Every user in the linux system can login in the rstudio IDE, unless you limit it, for example to certain groups:

more /etc/rstudio/rserver.conf
# Server Configuration File

rsession-which-r=/usr/local/bin/R

So no restrictions.

I created a new user dave with sudo add user and then set a password with sudo passwd dave

cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwdroot
daemon
bin
sys
sync
games
man
lp
mail
news
uucp
proxy
www-data
backup
list
irc
gnats
nobody
_apt
rstudio-server
rstudio
shiny
dave

So, new user dave is there along with rstudio and shiny.

But, when I go tot he rstudio login screen and try to login as dave with the newly created password for dave, the screen blanks out and I am unable to login. I get the error message above in the screen shot.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.