Advice on Debian testing for packages

I have an R package on CRAN, tutorial.helpers, which currently fails on CRAN checks for Debian. I want to check my fixes for this error, but I don't run Debian.

What is the best way to test that my package works on Debian before I submit it again to CRAN?

Hardware and software are no longer so closely wed as they once were. Install Ubuntu, say, on a thumb drive and boot from there. Download multipass to get a virtual Ubuntu that will run on either Windows or macOS. Provision an AWS EC2 micro-instance Ubuntu or even one with a preloaded R environment.

Thanks for the reply. I am already able to test on Ubuntu via Github Actions. My question is about Debian, and specifically a Debian setup which would mimic the Debian setup on CRAN.

Ubuntu is a Debian derivative. While not interchangeable as binaries, compiling from source for the one work for the other except in some screwy cases. The main guy at R core team, Dirk, uses it to compile all the repo's from source for his r2u package, so if it works on Ubuntu \dots . The CRAN guidelines have

Package authors should make all reasonable efforts to provide cross-platform portable code. Packages will not normally be accepted that do not run on at least two of the major R platforms.

Anyway rhub is likely to cover it.

Ahh. Thanks for the explanation!

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.