Aligning multi-line equations

Hello everyone, I'l start by saying that this is my first time asking a question here and I just recently started using/learning rmarkdown so I hop eyou'll forgive me if I make/made some mistake(s).

My question is, I'd like to put two arrows under the divisors of two fractions in an equation formula, but the method I found for doing so is (I assume) abominable.
'''
$$P_{tot}=\frac{F_{tot}}{S}=\frac{m}{l}N\overline{{V_x}^2}\frac{1}{S}$$
$$\quad\quad\quad; \downarrow\ \quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad;:\downarrow$$
$$\quad\quad\quad;; l
S=V_{box}$$
'''
Can anyone point me to a method to make this better/more elegant? I tried using the \begin{align} function but it won't allow me to use "&" in the divisor of a fraction.

Thanks in advance for your help!

No, just LaTeX, which is as tricky as it is powerful.

Questions about intent.

1. is <em> supposed to start bolding?
  2. are the ; and : intended?
  3. formula block to be left aligned or centered aligned?

P_{tot}=\frac{F_{tot}}{S}=\frac{m}{l} *N* \overline{{V_x}^2} <em>\frac{1}{S}

\quad\quad\quad; \downarrow\ \quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad;:\downarrow

\quad\quad\quad;; l</em> S=V_{box}

Thanks for the reply! I didn't intend to put the thing there, it must have been a trascription issue. The colons and semicolons are probably to increase the spacing (: ;). The formula is center-aligned

Then I think you want

P_{tot}=\frac{F_{tot}}{S}=\frac{m}{l} *N* \overline{{V_x}^2} \frac{1}{S}
\quad\quad\quad \downarrow \quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\downarrow
\quad \quad \quad S=\quad\quad\quad \quad \quad \quad V_{box}

The code may render differently depending on the engine and output device, so you may need to adjust the number of quads

<center>
$P_{tot}=\frac{F_{tot}}{S}=\frac{m}{l} *N* \overline{{V_x}^2} \frac{1}{S}$<br>
$\quad\quad\quad \downarrow \quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\quad\downarrow$<br>
$\quad \quad \quad S=\quad\quad\quad \quad \ V_{box}$
</center>

Yeah, but I meant to ask if there was a way to do this in a way that wouldn't require me to use the 'ol "just put spaces until it looks good" and maybe would do it automatically

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.