paid / full-time / San Carlos, California
Alkahest is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on treating age-related diseases by developing therapies that counteract the aging plasma proteome. By targeting the body’s chronokines, proteins that increase or decrease with age, our therapeutic candidates address the complex pathology underlying Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Age-related Macular Degeneration and other neurodegenerative diseases and diseases of aging.
The role will provide primary analytical support of genomics as well as other biological studies. The assignment will involve cutting edge science and the efforts of this role will be pivotal in advancing our therapeutic capabilities. The role requires dedication, flexibility, excellent communication and organization to successfully drive the science and achieve Alkahest’s corporate mission.
Alkahest offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, opportunities for career growth and development, and a work environment that is collaborative, collegial and lots of fun.
- Serve as bioinformatics programmer to support research and development focusing on Alkahest's internal genomics efforts
- Develop assisted and automated analysis tools for standardized workflows with a focus on visualizations enabling scientists to process and evaluate their data
- Develop in-house and off-the-shelf information systems to capture and share biological insight gathered from internal as well as external efforts
- Explore and implement new, state of the art technologies
- Ensure completeness, correctness and integrity of analyses and data sets
- Other responsibilities, in particular support of core informatics group at Alkahest, as assigned
- Bachelor’s or higher in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, or related field
- Significant experience (4+ years) working with multiple types of biological data and computational environments
- Strong team spirit but also the ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Creative problem solver with the ability to operate in a wide dynamic range of possibilities and uncertainty
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Must feel comfortable bridging scientists’ needs with informatics
- Strong attention to detail, following best practices, in particular documentation
- Comfortable working in a multi-tasked, fast-paced startup environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of bioinformatics principles, tools, and databases
- Demonstrated scripting skills in Python and R, solid experience with pandas, matplotlib, bioconductor and tidyverse, in particular ggplot
- Solid experience working on the command line using BASH and shell scripting
- Experience with workflow execution engines (e.g. NextFlow) is a big plus
- Able to drive implementation and validation of novel tools
- Experience with single-cell RNA sequencing data analysis tools is highly desired
- Solid statistics knowledge is a plus
- Web development skills in frameworks such as Django, Play or Shiny is a plus
Apply today! We'd love to meet you.
Alkahest is a well-funded clinical-stage biotechnology company, developing innovative products for the treatment of age-related conditions, with an emphasis on neurodegenerative diseases. The Company was founded on the pioneering science of Tony Wyss-Coray and his colleagues at Stanford University, who identified restorative functions in young plasma. At Alkahest, we are working to translate these opportunities and our discoveries into transformative human therapies. The company is located in San Carlos, California.