paid / full-time / Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Position Summary: CountyStat Analysts analyze data and collaborate with County departments to solve problems and improve government services. Allegheny County manages a wide range of programs and services for residents, including public safety, health, recreation, and economic development. The mission of the CountyStat team is to help Allegheny County management make data-informed decisions that will improve operations, provide quality services, lower costs, and increase revenues.
Analysts will have the opportunity to work on projects that fit within their interests, but will also be expected to master subject areas that may be totally new to them. Intellectual curiosity, a collaborative nature, and the desire to improve public services are all essential qualities of a successful analyst. Analysts are assigned a portfolio of County departments and will be expected to work closely with departments to serve their data needs. Day-to-day work will include maintaining operational dashboards to enable department staff to understand trends and emerging challenges in their work. Analysts will also monitor Key Performance Indicators for assigned departments and identify opportunities for improvement. Additionally, analysts will be assigned to high-profile projects that may cut across several departments to address a key challenge.
Analysts should expect to spend 40-60% of their time working with data, including preparing and cleaning data, performing analysis, and creating charts, maps, and dashboards to visualize the results. While these skills are important, the ability to forge partnerships with both department directors and front-line staff is also key. Analysts are responsible for helping departments and senior management assess the results of the analysis and implement needed changes. Successful candidates will demonstrate experience partnering with people or organizations outside their immediate team to implement changes. Experience with process improvement techniques will also be helpful.
- Works closely with department staff to understand data-related needs and challenges.
- Develops data cleaning and preparation techniques to ensure an accurate, reliable data pipeline.
- Analyzes data using Tableau, R, SQL, Python, or other tools.
- Develops data visualizations using Tableau, R, GIS, or other software.
- Continually revises dashboards and other visualizations per user feedback.
- Monitors KPIs for assigned departments.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement in departments; assists on projects including process improvement, cross-department analyses, etc. as necessary.
- Prepares and delivers oral and written reports to senior management.
- Assists in preparing and maintaining datasets for the Western PA Regional Data Center, the County’s open data portal.
- Performs other tasks and duties as requested or required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Statistical analysis techniques and methodologies.
- Data cleaning and manipulation techniques using R, SQL, Python, and Microsoft Excel.
- Data visualization and analysis tools, including Tableau, R, GIS, or Python.
- Process improvement techniques.
- Performance metrics, preferably for government agencies.
- Configuration and utilization of common data sources (i.e., MS SQL Server, Oracle, application programming interfaces (APIs), and Excel).
- Research best practices for the delivery of County services and local implementation issues.
- Analyze service delivery inputs, outputs, efficiency and effectiveness and perform root cause analysis.
- Proficiently utilize Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), business intelligence (Tableau), and GIS software.
- Create effective, well-designed graphs, charts, maps and other data visualizations.
- Ask questions of data, identify patterns and anomalies, and iteratively refine data visualizations and dashboards based on feedback from the CountyStat team and from department and County management.
- Learn County operational processes and procedures.
- Work within strict deadlines while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
- Balance competing priorities and complex situations.
- Communicate effectively, orally, visually, and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the public.
Residency: Allegheny County within 1 year.
Veterans' Preference: Will be awarded to eligible candidates.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - M/F/V/D
Preferred Qualifications : Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Information Systems, Data Science, Statistics, Business Administration, or a related field AND a minimum of two (2) years of experience in data analysis, business intelligence, process improvement, performance management or other related experience. Master’s Degree preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted. Applicants with a Master’s Degree are preferred.
It is the policy of Allegheny County that in order to receive a final offer of employment, candidates must successfully pass a background check, which includes verification of Allegheny County Real Estate Tax status, and drug/medical examinations as required for the position.
|Job Title:||CountyStats Analyst|
|Salary:||$50,000.00 - $60,000.00 per year|
|How to Apply:||Applications are submitted online until the position is filled and/or the posting is closed. After reviewing this job announcement, please click on the link at the bottom of the page to apply online. A resume is required with the application. Further instructions on submission of documents are available in the online application. A resume may not be substituted for an application.|