Allert for code note executed with cronR

cronr

Hello,

I am using cronR in Rstudio server and I am wondering if it is possible to set up some kind of alerts in case the script behind the cronR job encounters errors.

Do you have any suggestions?

0 Likes

Usually, you would do that with some sort of tryCatch mechanism. There is a function in base R that is doing that, but you can also take a look at purrr adverbs (safely, quietly ...).

Once you catch the error, you can do anything you like with it: send it to e-mail, log it, put error in DB, ...

0 Likes

According to the documentation (https://purrr.tidyverse.org/reference/safely.html), the purrr functions wrap other functions but now I would like to setup an alert for a whole rmarkdown script.

Is there something similar to wrap a whole rmarkdown script into a similar mechanism or other methods to record the errors from a rmarkdown script?

For example it is possible to insert into the rmarkdown chunks error=TRUE so that the script does not stop, in that case how can we safe the error messages?

0 Likes

I don't know if there is already a ready-made solution for this, but in general I still think you should think about wrapping your functions with some sort of try-catch mechanism. So, concretely, if you have code kinda like that:

```{r}
res <- function_that_can_fail()
```

then it is up to you to find a way to wrap it and then report the results. One example that comes to mind that does something similar is testthat, so you can use it for inspiration.

0 Likes

closed #5

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.

0 Likes