paid / full-time / Seattle, Washington
Alexa is the groundbreaking cloud-based intelligent agent that powers Echo and other devices designed around your voice. The Alexa Economics team is looking for a Data Scientist to join us. Our team is identifying the key drivers for engaging customers on the Alexa platform across devices, skills and services. As a part of the larger Alexa Customer Experience team, your area of influence and impact will be all of the Alexa organization across the globe. You will have a front row seat to the evolving voice assistant industry and opportunities to impact the customer experience of a cutting edge product used every day by people you know.
This role will work closely with scientists and engineers to develop and run statistical models to understand customer behavior with Alexa and how customers respond to different interventions. You will collaborate directly with economists to produce modeling solutions, partner with software developers and data engineers to build end-to-end data pipelines and production code, and have exposure to senior leadership as we communicate results and provide scientific guidance to the business. You will analyze large amounts of business data, automate and scale the analysis, and develop metrics that will enable us to continually delight our customers worldwide.
As a successful data scientist, you are an analytical problem solver who enjoys diving into data, is excited about investigations and algorithms, can multi-task, and can credibly interface between technical teams and business stakeholders. Your analytical abilities, business understanding, and technical savvy will be used to identify specific and actionable opportunities to solve existing business problems and look around corners for future opportunities.
Key responsibilities include:
· Utilizing code (Python, R, etc.) for analyzing data and building statistical models to solve specific business problems
· Improve upon existing methodologies by developing new data sources, testing model enhancements, and fine-tuning model parameters
· Collaborate with researchers, software developers, and business leaders to define product requirements and provide analytical support
· Communicating verbally and in writing to business customers and leadership team with various levels of technical knowledge, educating them about our systems, as well as sharing insights and recommendations
· Bachelor's Degree
· 3+ years of experience with data scripting languages (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab)
· 2 years working as a Data Scientist
· Master’s degree or PhD in computer science, statistics, information systems, economics, mathematics or similar
· Multiple years of experience working with large-scale, complex datasets to create/optimize machine learning, predictive, forecasting, and/or optimization models.
· Strong proficiency in SQL
· 2+ years of experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python, R), or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, Stata, Matlab, etc.)
· 2+ years of relevant working experience in an analytical role involving data extraction, analysis, and communication
· Practical understanding and hands-on experience with regression modelling (linear and logistic)
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to research scientists, engineering teams and business audiences
· Direct experience with both supervised learning methods (linear and logistic regression, time-series modelling, generalized linear models, decision trees, random forests, support vector machines, etc.) and unsupervised learning methods (K-means, hierarchical clustering, association rules, principal components).
· Direct experience analyzing A/B experiments
· Proven ability to convey rigorous technical concepts and considerations to non-experts
· Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation