paid / full-time / Seattle, Washington
Amazon's World Wide Ops People Product Technology team is responsible for creating hiring solutions for millions of applicants and future Amazonians that will help Amazon stay customer obsessed. We create global solutions that not only scale up in volume, but also handle the complexity of diverse workflows and laws worldwide. We are rapidly growing as a team and if you have the drive, tenacity, an entrepreneurial spirit and most importantly the day 1 spark to take on ambiguous problems head on, in a fast paced environment, this is the place for you!
We are looking for an experienced and motivated Data Scientist (DS) with outstanding leadership skills, proven ability to build and manage medium-scale modeling projects, identify data requirements, build methodology and tools that are statistically grounded. The candidate will be an expert in the areas of data science, machine learning and statistics, and is comfortable facilitating ideation and working from concept through to execution. Develop and produce balanced technical and business insights that allows our product organization to understand candidate behavior and labor markets, to make product decisions that increase the efficiency of our hiring pipeline and improve candidate experience.
The successful Data Scientist will have extreme bias for action needed in a startup environment. Work across multiple hiring programs and initiatives to un-earth opportunities, design and perform statistical experiments and build analytical systems/tools while striving for simplicity, and demonstrating creativity and judgment backed by statistical proof. Possess high intellectual curiosity with ability to quickly learn new concepts/frameworks, algorithms and technology that powers Amazon high volume hiring. We seek someone who can also demonstrate a high degree of ownership, insist on the highest standards and consistently deliver superior quality results on-time.
Additional Responsibilities include:
- Design and run experiments, research new algorithms, and find new ways to improve hiring analytics to optimize the candidate and associate experience
- Research machine learning algorithms and implement by tailoring to business needs and test on large datasets.
- Partner with scientists, engineers and product leaders to solve business and technology problems using scientific approaches to build new services that surprise and delight our customers.
- Collaborate with BI/Data Engineer teams and drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources to continually improve data quality
- Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Manipulating/mining data from databases (Redshift, SQL Server, Oracle DW, and Salesforce),
- Providing analytical network support to improve quality and standard work results
- Masters with two years of relevant experience or a Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering or a related quantitative field with five years of working experience as a Data Scientist
- Experience with statistical analysis, research science, machine learning and deep learning techniques, data modeling, regression modeling, financial analysis, and demand modeling
- Experience in Statistical Software such as R, Weka, SAS, SPSS
- Able to write SQL scripts for analysis and reporting (Redshift, SQL, MySQL)
- Experience using one or more Python, R, Java, C++ VBA, MATLAB, programming languages
- Proficiency with TABLEAU/R Shiny/Dash or other web based interfaces to create graphic-rich customizable plots, charts data maps etc.
- Previous experience in a ML or data scientist role with a large technology company
- Experience in writing academic-styled papers for presenting both the methodologies used and results for data science projects.
- Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, quantify improvement in customer experience or value for the business resulting from research outcomes, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives.
- Demonstrated industry leadership in the fields of Database and/or Data Warehousing, Data Sciences and Big Data processing.
- Familiarity with recruitment, hiring and operations processes used in Amazon fulfillment network.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong ability to interact, communicate, present, and influence within multiple levels of the organization.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.