paid / New York, NY ; possibly Remote / full-time
The ACLU seeks a full-time position of Data Scientist II - Marketing in the Analytics Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York.
ACLU Analytics partners with teams across the organization to enable the ACLU to make smart, evidence-based choices and bring quantitative insights on our issues to the courtroom and the public. Our team's work ranges from social science research for litigation & advocacy, to analysis & reporting for fundraising and engagement, to building and maintaining our data infrastructure. We strive to ensure the ACLU leads by example in the ethical use of data and technology. This includes maintaining our privacy and security standards, pushing for transparent data practices from government and corporate actors, and helping to steward high standards for algorithmic fairness, accountability, and transparency.
Reporting to the Director of Engagement Analytics, the Data Scientist II will be focused on the use of innovative advanced analytics to transform the way the ACLU approaches fundraising, marketing, digital communications, and supporter engagement. This includes managing the ACLU’s testing strategies, building models, and deploying solutions to help the ACLU identify meaningful insights, inform strategic decisions, and enhance engagement with donors and supporters across online and offline channels.
Please note that we do read all cover letters and would love to hear why you would like to work at the ACLU, what aspects of our mission you are passionate about, and what you will bring to this role!
You will be part of the Engagement Analytics team, and work with team members across Analytics as well as stakeholders in our Fundraising, Marketing, and Digital teams. You will also collaborate closely with other Reporting Analysts and Data Scientists on the Analytics team. Below is a sampling of projects you can expect to dive into:
- Enhancing advanced multi-touch attribution modelling and/or media mix modelling along with optimization tools to ensure our online and offline channel investments are made strategically
- Using NLP to detect/confirm the issues covered in our emails, actions and news pages and applying this to improve segmentation and engagement with our community
- Acting as a strategic thought partner to our peers in other teams to ensure bold, effective, A/B/n testing is applied -- and mentoring analysts who support these programs day-to-day
- Building a variety of propensity models (eg 1x to monthly, upgrade/downgrade, etc) that can be deployed into production systems, aligned with fundraising activities, tested and optimized
- Improving and enhancing team data science and engineering practices with documentation, mentorship and peer review
- Extensive experience applying data science and advanced analytic tools in a fundraising, marketing, or web/social/digital setting
- Mastery in Python or R, fluency in both (ability to review, understand, and critique code)
- Full knowledge of the data science toolset inclusive of descriptive analysis, statistical methods, and predictive analysis in service of real-world business objectives
- Knowledge of testing methodologies and building/supporting large-scale experimentation
- Skilled in putting models into production or analysis (and turning insights into actions) for long-term usage including writing back to source systems and supporting ELT pipeline development
- A strong foundation in relational databases and database query languages (e.g. SQL)
- Excellent communication skills; ability to synthesize quantitative results for a wide range of non-technical stakeholders across various functions and levels of an organization
- Strong data visualization skills
- Experience acting as a technical mentor or guide to junior colleagues / interns (e.g. acting as primary code reviewer in a team setting)
- Knowledge of complex statistical methodologies/tools beyond data science essentials (e.g causal inference techniques, geographic-based experiments, bayesian inference and associated tooling, multi-touch attribution -- eg. markov chains, LSTM, etc -- and/or market mix modelling -- eg. hierarchical bayesian time series.) is a plus
- Knowledge of CRM technologies such as Salesforce
- Knowledge of web analytics tools (e.g., Heap, Mixpanel)
- Knowledge of web testing tools (e.g., Optimizely, Site24x7)
The annual salary for this position is $115,638 (Level F). This salary is reflective of a position based in New York, NY. This salary will be subject to a locality adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting. Note that most of the salaries listed on our job postings reflect New York, NY salaries, where our National offices are headquartered.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The ACLU dares to create a more perfect union – beyond one person, party, or side. Our mission is to realize this promise of the United States Constitution for all and expand the reach of its guarantees.
For over 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ+ community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are core values of the ACLU and central to our work to advance liberty, equality, and justice for all. We are a community committed to learning and growth, humility and grace, transparency and accountability. We believe in a collective responsibility to create a culture of belonging for all people within our organization – one that respects and embraces difference; treats everyone equitably; and empowers our colleagues to do the best work possible. We are as committed to anti-oppression and anti-racism internally as we are externally. Because whether we’re in the courts or in the office, we believe ‘We the People’ means all of us.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex people; women; people with disabilities, protected veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are all strongly encouraged to apply.
The ACLU makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
Apply to this position