Are packages automatically installed and imported in R Studio when using the install command?

Hi all,

I am going to do a really small tutorial about time series forecasting (just some simple commands) and the participants use R Studio. For this tutorial they need the forecast library. Now I wonder, if they have not installed it (which I assume) will the packages automatically imported in their R Studio environment when I use the install command like:

install and import Forecast package
install.packages("forecast")
library(forecast)

Or do they have to do something in their R Studio environment such that this command works properly? I personally use R-Studio via Anaconda and here you just have to use the command. However, I do not know whether the participants also use Anaconda (I assume they do not) and this is why I would like you to estimate whether using and installing this library might be a problem for some R Studio environments? Of course, topics like this might be difficult in some special cases. However, I just want to make sure that I did not miss anything cruical when trying to explain how to use the forecast (or any other) library.

I'd appreciate every comment and will be quite thankful if you can share your experience.

Hi!
Generally, these two commands are all you need to install and load the package. If you have only limited time during the tutorial, you could maybe ask the participants to install forecast in advance so that you have more time to respond to problems there.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answer jms. I really appreciate it.

Do you know if the "stats" package is always autmatically included? Because I do not have to specify any command to use its methods.

Yes, stats is included in base r and doesn't need to be installed explicitely.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.