Novartis, Clinical Development & Analytics, Global Drug Development
Cambridge, MA, USA / full-time
Associate Director Scientific Computing / Director Scientific Computing – Multiple openings
The digital revolution is changing everything, especially in pharmaceuticals where we are collecting more data in our clinical trials than ever before. The question is, what do we do with it? At Novartis, we have over 20 years of untapped data waiting to be explored – thereby unlocking the secrets of the next breakthrough in innovative medicines for patients in need. We are forming a new Scientific Computing and Consulting team that has the opportunity to reimagine how Novartis handles its clinical trial data by enabling the use of state of the art computing infrastructure, leveraging advanced visualization software solutions to dynamically explore our data in an interactive and collaborative manner.
Come to an industry leader where you will be a lead contributor, working in collaboration with Quantitative Scientists, Statistical Methodologists, and Global Project Teams to enable the use of state-of-the-art computing infrastructure, leverage advanced visualization, develop robust software solutions and deliver the ability to provision combinations of complex internal and external data for analytics.
- Leverage tools such as R and R-Shiny to build advanced visual analytics tools to dynamically and interactively explore data in collaboration with clinical teams to provide a more rich and meaningful interpretation of the data
- Our strategy is to develop a framework that will lower the complexity for associates to generate applications for their own project work.
- Knowledge of D3, htmlwidgets and R2D3, as well as skills in Python, SAS, C, C++ are considered a plus!
- Drive the evaluation of business technology, scientific software, novel visualization tools, automated data provisioning pipelines and computation infrastructure improve, increase and enhance the quality and efficiency of Novartis drug development
- Provide software tools and IT infrastructure solutions to enable Quantitative Sciences to work efficiently and effectively to deliver on tasks and make quantitative decisions to trial and or project level activities including dynamic solutions to proactively explore data and deeply characterize patients
- Provide a tight link with the IT organization. Uses influencing skills to ensure infrastructure and decisions made on IT systems meet the needs of the business, i.e. enable the business for the delivery of complex analytics
- Lead sub-workstreams in global clinical innovation projects with an emphasis on incorporating these approaches into standard practice
- Develop training on data provisioning, data sciences, high performance computing and software development methods to colleagues within Quantitative Sciences and other functions within clinical development
- Incorporate evidence from sources of big data (e.g. genomics, biomarkers, digital technology, sensors, imaging and real world evidence)
- Lead the implementation, communication and education of innovative data interrogation / visualization methods
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Position will be filled at level commensurate with experience.
- PhD or Masters in computer science, data sciences, software engineering, bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, systems engineering, IT infrastructure, biostatistics preferred
- At least 6 years’ of experience with application of innovative software, data science, or influencing IT on infrastructure within a drug development setting preferred
(Associate Director – at least 6 years’ of experience; Director – at least 8 years’ of experience)
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) bridging scientific and business needs
Why consider Novartis?
750 million. That’s how many lives our products touch. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.