paid / London or Salford / full-time
The BBC are looking for a Data Scientist, this is a permanent role based in either Salford or London.
Imagine if Netflix, The Huffington Post, ESPN, and Spotify were all rolled into one - you’re starting to get close to what the BBC does online!
The BBC’s world-class online products (iPlayer, News, Sport, Music, Radio, and many others) reach millions of audience members every week, and create more than 1 Billion rows of data per day, but our work doesn’t stop there. We’re also working with other, “offline” parts of the BBC to help them gain an even better understanding of their audiences and aid their decision-making.
The Data Science team are responsible for designing and developing data mining tools, modelling complex problems, discovering insights and identifying opportunities through the use of statistical, algorithmic and visualisation techniques.
As a Data Scientist you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to ensure that the BBC’s data management, analytics and data science services are implemented and matured in the area that you support to transform business capabilities and enable the next generation of Broadcast and Digital services.
Within the Data Science team, you will support the design of experiments, test hypotheses, and build models. You will also conduct data analysis and help build moderately complex algorithms. You will have knowledge of SQL and either Python or R for data analysis and model building, with the ability and desire to learn new techniques and keep up with this fast-moving field.
Are you the right candidate?
Ideally you will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics or computer science or related field, OR knowledge gained through relevant experience.
- Experience with R or Python and SQL.
- Experience in the use of statistical packages.
- Familiarity with basic principles of databases.
- Demonstrable ability to quickly understand new concepts - all the way down to the theorems - and to come out with original solutions to mathematical issues.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Broadcast, production, start-up or media experience.
- A mix of public sector and commercial experience.
- Participation in published documents within your area of specialism.
- Successful academic background in your specialist discipline
Apply to this position