paid / full-time / USA
Beam Dental was founded in 2012 by three engineers who saw the opportunity to modernize the dental insurance industry using technology. The first product was the Beam Brush, which was one of the earliest examples of the Internet of Things in healthcare. Today, Beam Dental is the fastest growing provider of dental benefits in the country and is available in over 40 states around the US. Beam’s product focuses on ease of use, tailored pricing, and a unique commitment to preventative care by incorporating dental hygiene behavior into policy pricing.
• Working for a complex and dynamic business, simultaneously operating across insurance, CPG manufacturing, IOT, and dental services
• Being challenged to improve every day by a diverse and diversely skilled team
• Engaging in an active, intense, and fun work environment
• Being a decision maker and ‘owner’ of your subject matter
• Joining in our mission to forever change the way people access dental services
• Being a person of high character, high EQ, and amazing talent
Beam is looking for an experienced Senior Data Scientist to help spearhead Data Science at Beam. This person will act as a technical subject matter expert, helping to build the foundation of Data Science at Beam in conjunction with our Data Management, Analytics, and Actuarial teams. The Senior Data Scientist will collaborate closely with senior leaders to better understand our market and how to advance Beam’s products and key risk models. Functionally, this will include taking high-level business challenges, translating them into a concrete, quantitative framework, and shepherding solutions from POC to production and deployment. A Senior Data Scientist is expected to join the team with years of industry and academic experience in directly relevant topics.
You’re a Senior Data Scientist who possesses significant work experience and a deep understanding of applied statistics. You have not only delivered from start to finish on high impact data science work streams but also led the identification, scoping, and shepherding of key Data Science initiatives. You love to write code AND solve high impact business problems in doing so. You have a strong passion for teaching others and staying up to date with current industry trends and best practices.
- Research, build, and test predictive models that will advance Beam’s machine learning initiatives
- Partner with actuarial teams to address quantitative insurance problems (e.g., claims forecasting, pricing, fraud detection, reserving, and estimating customer lifetime value)
- Tackle quantitative business problems to aid overall business strategy including customer segmentation, win rate prediction, lead-scoring, and outreach optimization
- Collaborate cross-functionally with key stakeholders and the analytics team to explain the impact and outcome of data science work streams and make recommendations
- Work closely with the Data Management team to promote best practices on data acquisition, feature extraction, model automation, and deployment in a production environment
- Provide thought leadership on both industry and data science trends to inform and optimize Beam’s business practices
- Promote data science at Beam to ensure its accessibility and trustworthiness for all facets of the business
- 5+ years practical experience as a data scientist, preferably in the insurance industry
- In-depth training and education in a quantitative discipline, PhD preferred
- Deep knowledge of applied statistics and fundamental machine learning concepts
- Demonstrated experience building, validating, and applying statistical machine learning methods to real world problems
- Experience collaborating with data engineering and data management teams to deploy models in production, monitor model drift, and implement re-training strategy
- Experience writing SQL queries
- Advanced skills in R or Python
- Experience with BigQuery ML and TensorFlow a plus
- Experience identifying automation opportunities and using associated tools a plus (i.e., Selenium, Google Chrome Puppeteer)
Visa sponsorship or transfer not available for this position.
Beam believes a diverse and inclusive environment is key to building a great company and a great product. We are committed to creating an environment that is welcoming for people of all backgrounds, and encourage everyone to apply. Beam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.