.bib file lacking most information when using visual editor insert -> citation (PubMed)

Hello! I am trying to create citations in Visual Editor via the Insert Citation tool. The .bib file is created but it is missing almost all of the important data.

My steps:

1. Create new Rmd in fresh session
  2. Put cursor in the text and Insert -> Citation -> PubMed
  3. Search for "heart disease" and click on first result and then Insert

Result:
In the text, the citation is created appropriately (ie it says [@Raphael2018] where my cursor was) and the references.bib file is created.

However, the entire contents of the references.bib file is:
@article{Raphael2018,
}

This is my first time trying to use references -- am happy to try any alternate ways of inserting citations to try to narrow down where the issue is. Thank you!

> rmarkdown::find_pandoc()
$version
[1] ‘2.11.4’

$dir
[1] "/usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/pandoc"

> sessionInfo()
R version 4.0.4 (2021-02-15)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: CloudForms

Matrix products: default
BLAS:   /usr/local/lib64/R/lib/libRblas.so
LAPACK: /usr/local/lib64/R/lib/libRlapack.so

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C               LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8     LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8   
 [6] LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8    LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C                  LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C            
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C       

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

other attached packages:
[1] usethis_2.0.1

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
 [1] compiler_4.0.4    magrittr_2.0.1    htmltools_0.5.1.1 tools_4.0.4       fs_1.5.0          glue_1.4.2        yaml_2.2.1        rmarkdown_2.8    
 [9] knitr_1.31        xfun_0.22         digest_0.6.27     lifecycle_1.0.0   rlang_0.4.10      evaluate_0.14     purrr_0.3.4 

Hi,

I can't reproducing using the last daily version of R Studio. You could try one in https://dailies.rstudio.com/

Maybe this has been fixed ? Which version are you using ?

Sorry for my very delayed response! I've been using 1.4.1106. I ended up opening an issue (.bib file lacking most information when using visual editor to create via insert -> citation · Issue #9394 · rstudio/rstudio · GitHub) after someone's recommendation. It hasn't had any activity other than tags but I'm optimistic! Thanks for your response, @cderv !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.