/bin/bash: 77: command not found

Hello, I am unable ot install some packages because of the error

/bin/bash: 77: command not found
make: *** [/opt/R/4.1.0/lib/R/etc/Makeconf:191: AMD/Source/amd.o] Error 127
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘igraph’

So, to answer the first questions, I am on Ubuntu 20.04, and yes I have Fortran and gfortran installed. I should mention I cross-posted on stack overflow but so far no one could help me. I also installed R the recommended way by Rstudio.

Then tried by using simply the package manager. But I still have this issue.

Also, I don't get why it complains about "77" and not "f77". It seems all I can find on google relates to "f77" issues but not "77". That looks like a strange command to me. Indeed, typing "f77" in a shell shows it's installed why typing "77" returns "command not found". So why is R trying to use "77" ?

Thanks a lot for any help

I'm having exactly the same problem. I've spent a long time, but couldn't find a way to fix it. It also puzzles me why the installation calls for "77" and not "f77" or "g77".

@AxzDz have you maybe found a solution?

Yes, I managed to solve it by deleting the Makevars file, it seems R was looking for the wrong thing in the wrong path. I just did:

rm ~/.R/Makevars

That's it

Hmm, interesting. For me that created another error:

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘igraph’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
unable to load shared object '/.../R/lib/R/library/00LOCK-igraph/00new/igraph/libs/igraph.so':
libicui18n.so.58: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

I also had 2 installation of R in 2 different locations. Make sure you have only one

which R

should only returns one location.

So check if you have not another R causing troubles. Especially look if you don't have a
/usr/R

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.