"binary versions available but the source versions are later" missing in R 4.3.0 for macOS

When updating packages, I no longer get the message that there are binary versions available but the source versions are later, with the option to compile from source. If the source is newer it just reinstalls the older binary with no warning message. This occurs on both of my Mac computers, one arm64 and one x86_64.

As is, I check for updates, update and then check for updates again. For any package that is still on the list I rerun install.packages() with type = "source" or just wait a day or two for new binaries to appear.

1 Like

For the vast majority of macOS users, this is a feature, not a bug. Everyone understands later but few understand source and the process of installing and maintaining the optional Xcode tool chain. Let alone finding and installing non-standard libraries manually or with brew. Or file systems and permissions even.

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.