Blank window in Notebook Output

Hello,

There is a strange behavior in RStudio on my Mac when I want to open an image produced by a script and sitting in the main interface into a new window (with the "Show in New Window" button).

A new window with title "RStudio: Notebook Output" opens, but the image inside appears just a very short time (like a flash) and disappears immediately. The window is then blank and there is no way to make the image appear again. Reload doesn’t work either. I can only close the window. Retrying produces the same.

That’s a pity because this is very useful to see images in bigger dimensions by redimensioning window.

Anyone has had the same problem?

I’m using latest stable version of RStudio (2021.09.0 Build 351) on my Mac (Apple M1 2020, macOS Monterey (12.5).

Thanks a lot for helping if possible,

Gabriel

The latest stable version is 2022.07.1+554, give it a try, maybe your issue has already been solved.

Thanks a lot @andresrcs, I wasn’t aware the automatic update hadn’t worked for a while… I am now with version 2022.07.1 Build 554 and I gave it a try.

The problem remains the same.

Maybe I can precise a little bit: when the output contains only one image, it is behaving correctly: I can open it in another window and it displays well. But when the output contains several images, I have the problem I described in my post: the window appears blank.

If you have any idea it would be welcome!

Thanks a lot,

Gabriel

I'm not sure if this applies to macOS systems but, if possible, you could try changing to software rendering to discard video driver incompatibilities.

If that doesn't solve your problem, I think you should file an issue report on the GitHub repository.

Thanks again @andresrcs for your help! I tried to change the setting you mention, but the problem remains the same. I will follow your advice and report an issue on the Github repository.

Best,

Gabriel

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.