BoF at rstudio::conf - Spatial / Maps

Spatial / Maps

spatial-maps-button

Keywords: Spatial, Maps, leaflet, sf
Hosted by @zross, @alandipert
When and where: Friday Breakfast. We'll reserve a large set of tables in the dinning hall for this group.

Interested?

If you'd like to get notifications about this group, be sure that you are "Watching" this topic-thread.

If you would like to focus on a specific topic within this category, or ensure you are connecting with the right folks, reply below, discuss, and share widely!

What is a Birds of a Feather Session? Learn more at the BoF Directory

2 Likes

Hello,

One of my biggest issues with mapping comes at the data joining level (US). I have done a bit of research and used various packages in the past with some ranging levels of success. Is there a concise and accurate way to merge zip code to county and state level as well as merging zip code count data to zip code mapping coordinates.

Thanks, I am excited for this BoF.

3 Likes

I feel your pain.
There are some US Census datasets that are helpful, as well as sf objects that have the hierarchy mapped out, but I generally confuse myself when working with it.

Looking forward to this BoF.

2 Likes

I'm looking forward to join this meeting!

4 Likes

Unfortunately, there is no "concise and accurate way" to merge zip to county/state since zips don't fit neatly into county/state boundaries. But US ZCTA (like ZIPs) are based on underlying blocks and you can make use of relationship files: https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/relationship.html

2 Likes

Looking forward to attending!

1 Like

I'm excited for this! See you all there!

2 Likes

I'll be there! Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

I love using Leaflet. I am looking forward to this.

1 Like

Looking forward to this.
Google Photos

1 Like