Bookdown update problem

I deployed my bookdown book back in February and all was fine and dandy. Someone commented to me about and error recently and I recall it working fine then (early May). The last documented change was April 7 (a 1 word typo). I really stopped working on it for a long time so I don't recall exactly when things went wrong. I've been fiddling with things the past couple of days so my GitHub shows more updates but it's really just resaving files and double-checking files (https://github.com/sharpmel/STROBECourse)

I went to re-pin an old tweet about this book and checked the link and it was dead (https://bookdown.org/melissaksharp/strobe_eduexpansion/). The listing is still up on Bookdown's website (152) but it won't work. There's a 504 error "Gateway Time-out" (sent link to another person and it was the same). RS Connect is a blank page with an error about not being able to connect to the host too.

I haven't used R in a while so I tried updating that and all the packages. Build book works fine. If I try to redeploy the site to the same URL I get a 500 error (your content could not be published because of a problem on the server. more information may be available on the server's home page... If the problem persists, contact the server's administrator. Error code: 500"). Deployment takes forever and gets stuck on GET /a/tasks/...first_status=72 xx ms for ages and doesn't finish or I get the server issue.

The only thing in my deplyment log that looks slightly off is:
pandoc-citeproc.exe: PandocResourceNotFound "apa-annotated..csl" Error running filter ...pandoc-citeproc.exe: Filter returned error status 1

The .csl file is in the right folder. I even redownloaded it to be sure it was good. It imports into Zotero just fine.

I tried deployment with a different URL and it works without a problem. But I don't want that URL because I've used the existing one already in several places (including my thesis).

How can I redeploy this to the same URL?

1 Like

I tried updating all my packages, reinstalled pandoc, un/re-installing yaml, re-downloading the .csl file and nothing worked. I just gave up and deleted the original site and used bookdown::publish_book(name = "STROBE_eduexpansion", render = "none") to replace the original site because the redeployment always hung or got an error about the server. All my disqus comments were wiped.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.