Business Intelligence Systems Analyst
Full-time / Paid
Location : preferred NYC, Amsterdam, Accra, Kampala
Application deadline : June 30, 2019
WorldCover seeks a well-rounded Business Intelligence Systems Analyst to support our core B2C and B2B2C agricultural insurance operations in East and West Africa. This position is well suited for a mission-driven Data Engineer who can quickly adapt to end-users’ needs and work under limited direct supervision.
WorldCover is insuring small businesses around the world against the effects of climate change, a $160 billion opportunity as estimated by Lloyd’s. We have launched drought insurance products for agribusinesses and small-scale farmers in West and East Africa, and we are planning future expansion and partnerships in Latin America and southeast Asia.
Our technology enables us to instantly price and issue crop insurance policies to farmers anywhere within our markets. Our models are built with remote sensed and proprietary climatic and crop yield data and can predict events that cause crop failures. We issue simple yet customized insurance policies using mobile phones and digital money, which significantly reduces costs.
We are founded by MIT computer scientists and finance industry experts, and our leadership team hails from Uber, KPMG, Gates Foundation, CGIAR, Swiss Re, and World Bank. We are backed by MS&AD Ventures among other world-class venture investors, as well as a top global insurance group. See our recent press coverage in TechCrunch, the WSJ and FT.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
As our Business Intelligence Lead you will work under our Product & Technology division to develop both internal and partner-facing dashboarding tools to track all aspects of insurance operations (premium collection, customer acquisition and retention, channel partner performance, policy servicing). You will help the business successfully grow to 1 million policy transactions across 4 markets.
You will coordinate with Operations and Customer Success teams to define and visualize key business metrics, trends, and projections; develop, test, monitor, and document all underlying data ETL tasks; and help flag data quality issues and business exceptions.
You will own our internal BI systems architecture and be responsible for application uptime and performance (incl. end-user experience on low-end mobile devices), quarterly planning, and development sprints.
Your responsibilities also include providing design directions (initial wireframes and proofs of concepts), and holding internal and external trainings and presentations to end-users.
- Bachelor degree with 5-7 years of experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3+ years R, Python, and/or Node.js scripting experience with a focus on data wrangling, data analytics and visualization libraries (e.g. data.table, dplyr, shiny, htmlwidgets; pandas, scikit, ggplot, matplotlib; Highcharts, D3.js, Bokeh, Plotly)
- Basic knowledge of Linux system administration (Bash, Cron, package management, file system and web server management)
- 3+ years relevant experience in data analysis, data mining, and/or statistics
- Familiar with data ETL pipelines and tools (Airflow, Talend)
- 3+ years experience designing interactive graphics, infographics and/or data visualizations
- Have extensive experience with SQL, HTML, CSS
- Have experience with business intelligence and data discovery tools such as SAS, STATA, Tableau, Spotfire, Business Objects, QlikView, Google Data Studio, Apache Superset, and with graphic libraries.
- Adept at identifying and drawing connections between end-users’ needs and potential technology solutions.
- Mission-driven, have the capacity to adapt and thrive in diverse, unfamiliar, and challenging situations.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple engagements simultaneously.
- Proficient at learning new technologies and effectively incorporating them into the work environment.
- Possess good communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
Candidates will be required to submit a take-home coding assignment as part of the hiring process.