C stack usage is too close to the limit while loading data.image for shiny-server app

Hello!

I am trying to run shiny app on shiny server deployed via ubuntu vm using Azure services.
My UI file begins with loading data.image (~100mb).
While app is working fine on my local pc and via r-studio server, when I am trying to acces it from shiny-server it crashes with this errors:

C stack usage 814747143012 is too close to the limit
R --no-save --slave -f /opt/shiny-server/R/SockJSAdapter.R

Have anybody ever tried to solve this problem? If so, what are potential solutions here? I have tried to find the answer, but I haven't seen any related to both - error and loading data image.

PS: I kept default settings, except I changed the path for applications, (examples and index. are working just fine).

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Hi, have you found a solution to your error? This post might be useful.

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for your answer. I saw post that you shared, but I didn't find it helpfull. Even with seting stuck to unlimited amount I am continuing to expirience the same problem.

okay, too bad that didn't help.
Can you share the code that is causing the issue?

1 Like

I'm also curious to see the code, and particularly to know if your code contains any recursive functions. A recursive function can consume a lot of stack, but the problem can be solved by converting the recursive function to an iterative one.

I am sorry for not responding so long.

Regarding code. Well, before sharing, let me highlight something.
The app runs perfectly on my laptop, (Windows 8.1), using desktop r-studio. It also opens via the r-studio server, established on Azure Droplet, (Ubuntu). Described error occurs only when I am trying to run an app using shiny-server, established on the same VM.

I am pretty sure that recursion is not an issue. I checked shiny-server logs. The application fails when trying to load a large r-data object into the global environment.

So, taking into account everything that I mentioned, the line of code that causing the issue is following:

load('SavedDataImage.RData')
1 Like

Have you tried using a VM with more memory? If that makes the problem go away, you could stop there, or you could work on optimizing your data and/or code so that it works in the original-sized VM.