Calculating number of peaks within window - HELP translating MATLAB script to R script

Dear all,

I am a R newbie and looking for some help to translate a freely available MATLAB script into R.

The MATLAB script is designed to analyse a 27650x1 vector which consists of a bunch of peaks and troughs. Each element within the vector corresponds to a time of 0.04s (so first element is at 0s, 2nd is at 0.04s, 3rd is 0.08 etc). The MATLAB script is supposed to find the number of peaks in a ten second window, then divides it by 10, then stores that value in a separate vector, then the window should shift along by one second and the process is repeated. Original Link

The proposed MATLAB script, that I want to translate, looks like this:

% fake data
data = rand(27650, 1);

% Set parameters
sampleRate = 0.04; %time interval (sec)
windowSize = 10; %time (seconds), moving window size
windowIncr = 1.0; %time (seconds), window increment
n = length(data); %number of data points
start = 0; %staring point (time, sec)

% Calculate end time
stopTime = n * sampleRate - start;

% create vector of time stamps (this isn't needed but you might want it for plots, etc.)
time = start : sampleRate : stopTime;

% Window index size
windowIdxSz = windowSize / sampleRate; % !! This must be an integer!
if mod(windowIdxSz,1) ~= 0
error('Window size divided by sample rate must be an integer')
end

% initialize window index
windIdx = 1 : windowIdxSz;

% Number of indicies to shift window
windShift = windowIncr/sampleRate; % !! This must be an integer
if mod(windShift,1) ~= 0
error('Window increment divided by sample rate must be an integer')
end

% determine number of loops needed
nLoops = floor((n-start)/windowIdxSz); %floor() results in skipping leftovers outside of final window

% Loop through your data
nPeaks = nan(nLoops, 1);
for i = 1:nLoops
pks = findpeaks(data(windIdx)); % find peaks within your windowed data
nPeaks(i) = length(pks)/10; % store the number of peaks, divided by 10
windIdx = windIdx + windShift; % shift window
end

My attempt to translate this MATLAB script into an R script looks currently like this:

set parameters

sampleRate = 0.04
windowSize = 10
windowIncr = 1.0
n <- length(data)
start = 0

calculate end time

stopTime <- n*sampleRate-start

create vector of time stamps

time <-start:sampleRate:stopTime

window index size

windowIdxSz <- windowSize / sampleRate
if (mod(windowIdxSz,1) != 0)
{error('Window siize divided by samplerate must be an integer')
}

initialize window index

windIdx <- 1:windowIdxSz

Number of indices to shift window

windshift <- windowIncr / sampleRate
if (mod(windshift,1) !=0)
{error('Window increment divided by sample rate must be an integer')
}

determine number of loops needed

nLoops <- floor((n-start)/windowIdxSz)

loop through data

nPeaks <- matrix(nLoops,1)
for (i in 1:nLoops)
{
pks <- findpeaks(data[windIdx], threshold = 1.5)
nPeaks[i] <- length(pks)/windowSize
windIdx <- windIdx + windshift
}

My questions now:

1. Is my translation thus far correct?
2. What is the appropriate expression in R for the "nan" in MATLAB at the beginning of the loop when nPeaks is defined? I simply went with "matrix" now but is this doing the same thing?
3. How do you translate this MATLAB term from the loop "pks = findpeaks(data(windIdx))" into R. I think I understand what the line is suppose to do: "calculate the peaks in a defined window which through each iteration loop will shift"... but how can you do this kind of referencing in R? I tried to simply use [] instead of () but did not help at all.

I would be so grateful if anyone could help me with this!!!
Best wishes
Stef

You need to go step-by-step and check what each function is doing. For example for your question 2, you can test with nLoops = 3:

matrix(3, 1)
#>      [,1]
#> [1,]    3

This is probably not what you want. You can run ?matrix to see the documentation, in that case you might mean:

matrix(NA, nrow = 3, ncol = 1)
#>      [,1]
#> [1,]   NA
#> [2,]   NA
#> [3,]   NA

Note however that in MATLAB, everything is a matrix, but in R, everything is a vector. So since your data seems to be mostly 1-dimensional, I don't think you need any matrix anywhere.

I think that will also solve your question 3: [a] is appropriate to subset a vector, whereas if you're trying to subset a matrix you would need [a,b] (specifying both the rows and columns).

Also make sure that you visually check your results at each step, you can use plot(x,y) and abline(v=x) for that.

Feel free to ask pointed questions about a specific step that is not giving the result you want: you will get much better (more) answers with precise questions than just asking us to read and understand all of your untested code.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.