Can contrasts and interaction contrasts be identical in linear mixed model?

Dear all,

I have a problem with respect to the estimated marginal means of a linear mixed model.
I performed a mixed model like the one in the example below:

library(lme4)
library(emmeans)

model = lmer(dep_variable ~ covariate * condition + (1 + condition|subject), dataset)
summary(model)
anova(model)

After this, I checked the contrasts:

emmeans(model, pairwise~ condition)
emmeans(model, pairwise~ condition|covariate)

I wanted to check which factors (i.e. "covariate" and "condition") affected my dependent variable (i.e., "dep_variable").
The dependent variable and the covariate were numeric variables, while condition was a factor variable with 3 levels.
After performing the model and checking the estimated marginal means, I realized that the estimated marginal means were the same both when I looked at the main effect "condition" and when I checked the interaction between "covariate" and "condition".
Moreover, I realized that the contrasts of the interaction were centered at the mean value of the covariate (numeric variable).
My questions would be two:

• Did I make a mistake?
  • If not, can I "move" the value of my covariate in order to check the contrasts by holding the covariate to another value (not the mean)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.