Cannot instal RSTudio on UBUNTU20.04 - libclang-dev pbs

Hye

I cannot install RStudio on Ubuntu20.04 because of dependencies problems. I tried all solutions given on various forums, including this one

installation dependencies problems

I get exactly the same screens and advice that in this post.

the libclang-dev package is impossible to install, even trying libclang-8-dev or whatever number I tried.
I tried via synaptic, via console , impossible

I reinstalled R, I checked RSTudio older version, impossible

Could you help ? thanks a lot

I am on Ubuntu 21.10 at the moment but RStudio worked well on 20.04. I have a vague memory of having to install something like libclang-8-dev but I am not sure.

Could you post the complte error message that you are getting when you try the install. Also how are you installing?

Thanks for your answer

here the code when I install RSTudio

sudo gdebi rstudio-2021.09.1-372-amd64.deb

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
Reading state information... Done
Ce paquet ne peut pas être installé
Cannot install 'libclang-dev'

When I try to install libclang-dev (or liclang-8-dev or -10-dev)

Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances       
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Certains paquets ne peuvent être installés. Ceci peut signifier
que vous avez demandé l'impossible, ou bien, si vous utilisez
la distribution unstable, que certains paquets n'ont pas encore
été créés ou ne sont pas sortis d'Incoming.
L'information suivante devrait vous aider à résoudre la situation : 

Les paquets suivants contiennent des dépendances non satisfaites :
 libclang-dev : Dépend: libclang-10-dev (>= 10~) mais ne sera pas installé
E: Impossible de corriger les problèmes, des paquets défectueux sont en mode « garder en l'état ».

That means "dependances not satisfied ...Impossible to solve the problems, broken packets are in mode "keep in the same state'

thanks you

Does this help at all? How to install libclang-dev ubuntu package on Ubuntu 20.04/Ubuntu 18.04/Ubuntu 19.04/Ubuntu 16.04

I vaguely think I used this for some installation but it may have been for 21.10

I love the error message! Ceci peut signifier
que vous avez demandé l'impossible....
is so encouraging.

Come to think of it, I think you can just download the RStudio .deb, double--click on it and see if software installer will work. It probably will give the same error message but it may be worth a try.

Unfortunately, I get the same message error.
I think I am going to install Ubuntu 21.10 to, but as it is not a LTS, I hesitate

I tried also to double click on the package .deb...but I also get an error message. It is really annoying, and will obliged to pass through Windows or to change my computer ubuntu version

IIRC there is a 21.04 which should be an LTS. You may be able to install libclang there. Otherwise you may want to consider a question on an Ubuntu forum.

I think it will only be Ubuntu 22.04 which will be an LTS

https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle

I believe all releases with a .04 are LTS. If 22.04 is available, I would say install it. IF not 21.04 may be a good choice however more and more I think you need to check with an Ubuntu forum about installing libclang.

Thanks JK, I am going to install the 21.10 which seems to work. Thanks again for your suggestions;
It is the first time that I have really problem like that with an R software or package. Finally I took my old machine on Ubuntu 16 and it works with packages splits, phytools etc. for immediate tasks.

Just for info, I do not want to contradict you, but really I am on Ubuntu since more than 15 years, and the LTS are only each two tears (they keep 5 years updates).
https://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/lts
" Ce délai peut être considéré comme court pour certains utilisateurs, qui nécessitent un système stable et maintenu pour une durée étendue. C'est pourquoi certaines versions d'Ubuntu sont estampillées LTS . Ces versions, publiées tous les deux ans au mois d'avril, sont soutenues pour une durée prolongée allant jusqu'à 60 mois (5 ans) pour les postes de travail et les serveurs."

All the best

Good news. Best wishes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.