Can't connect to PostgreSQL in Rstudio, possible permissions issue?

I've followed the documentation on db.rstudio.com and other sites, and I'm not able to connect to my Postgres database from Rstudio. I'm on macos 10.14. Running:

con <- DBI::dbConnect(odbc::odbc(),
                       Driver = "PostgreSQL Driver",
                       Database = "mydatabase",
                       UID = "myuser",
                       PWD = "mypassword",
                       Host = "localhost",
                       Port = 5432)

Gives the error:

Error: nanodbc/nanodbc.cpp:983: 00000: 

At first, I got an empty list when running odbcListDrivers(), however I was able to get it to show the postgres driver location/value by copying odbcinst.ini from the global /etc to my user (cp /etc/odbcinst.ini ~/.odbcinst.ini).

Similarly, odbcListDataSources() returned nothing until I did the same thing (cp /etc/odbc.ini ~/.odbc.ini)

The odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini are locked from editing via Finder, but can be edited via nano/terminal.

I also tried to solve the problem by installing the database drivers via Postgres' stack builder. This has left a file called postgres-reg.ini in /etc containing:

[PostgreSQL/12]
InstallationDirectory=/Library/PostgreSQL/12
Version=12.1-3
Shortcuts=1
DataDirectory=/Library/PostgreSQL/12/data
Port=5432
ServiceID=postgresql-12
Locale=C
Superuser=postgres
Serviceaccount=postgres
Description=PostgreSQL 12
Branding=PostgreSQL 12
SB_Version=4.1.0
pgAdmin_Version=4.16
CLT_Version=12.1.3
[psqlODBC]
Description=ODBC drivers for PostgreSQL Server, packaged by EnterpriseDB.
InstallationDirectory=/Library/PostgreSQL/psqlODBC
Version=12.01.0000-1
Branding=Postgres Plus Add-ons

I tried using the InstallationDirectory, specified in this file, in the odbc.ini file, but that didn't change anything.

Overall I'm suspecting that it's a permissions issue, but I'm not quite sure where to look next.

Thanks for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.