Can't install devtools on windows 10 :-(

hello there!

This drives me nuts. I have followed the instructions there (https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/pandoc/devtools.html), installed rtools as demanded, and installed devtools as well.

But when I try to follow instruction 3 I am stuck

library(devtools)
Warning message:
package ‘usethis’ was built under R version 3.4.4
build_github_devtools()
Error in build_github_devtools() :
could not find function "build_github_devtools"

What is the issue here?

Thanks!!

You seem to be referring to a non-current README (maybe you stumbled on that link via a web search?). Here are the current instructions from CRAN:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/devtools/readme/README.html

Updating to the latest version of devtools

You can track (and contribute to) the development of devtools at GitHub - r-lib/devtools: Tools to make an R developer's life easier. To install it:

1. Install the release version of devtools from CRAN with install.packages("devtools").

2. Make sure you have a working development environment.

• Windows: Install Rtools.
    • Mac: Install Xcode from the Mac App Store.
    • Linux: Install a compiler and various development libraries (details vary across different flavors of Linux).
  3. Install the development version of devtools.

devtools::install_github("hadley/devtools")

Here is the devtools CRAN page:

And the devtools github page:

But! Note that devtools has recently moved to the r-lib Github Organization, so the github links in the CRAN README are actually out of date. The latest instructions from the development version README:

Updating to the latest version of devtools

You can track (and contribute to) the development of devtools at GitHub - r-lib/devtools: Tools to make an R developer's life easier. To install it:

1. Install the release version of devtools from CRAN with install.packages("devtools").

2. Install the development version of devtools.

devtools::install_github("r-lib/devtools")
5 Likes

ha indeed! thanks!!!!!!!

You're welcome! :smile:

If your question's been answered, would you mind choosing a solution? It helps other people see which questions still need help, or find solutions if they have similar problems. Here’s how to do it:

A post was split to a new topic: Installing r-lib/devtools without admin privledges