Can't open Rstudio on Xenial

linux
ubuntu

Hi all,

I just tried to install Rstudio on xenial. I first tried these instructions: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1013160/how-to-install-r-on-ubuntu-16-04-xenial

But then I couldn't find a version of Rstudio that was labelled xenial on the Rstudio site. So I used the commands in the install Rstudio section of this guide: https://gist.github.com/mGalarnyk/41c887e921e712baf86fecc507b3afc7

After that, I could use R in the command line, but I couldn't open Rstudio, either by typing 'rstudio' into the terminal or by clicking the icon from applications.

So I went back to the first guide and ran the commands in step two, but nothing changed. Right now, if I type 'rstudio' into the terminal I get this message: rstudio: error while loading shared libraries: libxslt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any idea how I can fix this and use Rstudio?

Hi @houn_portus! Welcome!

Here’s the preferred installation method for xenial (click to expand):

Note that the binary isn’t labeled “xenial” on the download page, it’s labeled “Ubuntu 16.04+” (xenial = 16.04).

Hi, thanks for your help, unfortunately, I tried this and was not successful. After downloading rstudio-xenial-1.1.463-amd64.deb, when I try to run:

sudo apt-get install gdebi-core sudo gdebi rstudio-xenial-1.1.463-amd64.deb

from my downloads folder, I get:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package rstudio-xenial-1.1.463-amd64.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'rstudio-xenial-1.1.463-amd64.deb'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'rstudio-xenial-1.1.463-amd64.deb'

Because I could see the package in my downloads, I didn't understand what was going wrong. So, I tried to use the GDebi Package Installer, which didn't throw any errors, but when it finished it said status: same version already installed. But, I still can't seem to open Rstudio either from the command line or from applications.

I then uninstalled the package, which removed the rstudio icon from my applications, then reinstalled it, but with the same results.

Any idea what is going wrong?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.