Can't use visual markdown mode with latex in the YAML header

I might have discovered a bug in the RStudio IDE. I'd also love to know a better way to handle what I'm trying to do.

I use the visual editor to insert citations (would be great if I could do this one day without the visual editor, working in source mode). I also want to automatically wrap long lines of code in the PDF output rather than having them fall off the edge of the page, and I use the embedded LaTeX in the Rmd header as shown below to achieve this.

---
title: "My title"
author: "Stephen Turner"
date: "`r format(Sys.time(), '%B %d, %Y')`"
output: 
  pdf_document: 
    fig_caption: yes
    toc: yes
header-includes:
- |
  ```{=latex}
  \usepackage{fvextra}
  \DefineVerbatimEnvironment{Highlighting}{Verbatim}{
    breaksymbolleft={}, 
    showspaces = false,
    showtabs = false,
    breaklines,
    commandchars=\\\{\}
  }
  ```
---

However, when I do this, I can't use the visual editor ("Unable to activate visual mode (unsupported front matter format or non-top-level YAML block)"). There's nothing actually wrong with the front matter. The PDF compiles just fine.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 5.32.56 AM

Is there another way to achieve what I'm trying to do here in a way that doesn't fool the visual editor into thinking something's wrong?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.