Center for Health Outcomes and Population Equity, Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah - Research Data Manager/Analyst

Yes / Salt Lake City / full-time

The Center for Health Outcomes and Population Equity (HOPE) at the University of Utah Huntsman Cancer Institute conducts community-based, implementation science, and clinical research that focuses on health inequities, health care system change, behavioral risk factors, chronic and infectious disease prevention, screening and vaccination, healthcare systems, and the use of state of the science mobile health technologies for both assessment and intervention. The center’s expansive portfolio of research projects collect data from a variety of sources that include ecological momentary assessments, electronic health records, population health management, global positioning system/geographical information system, on-body sensors/accelerometry, survey, and text messaging.

The Center is looking to expand its data management and analysis team. The position will primarily support the Center’s mission by ensuring data for our studies are safely and accurately processed, cleaned, and documented to enable monitoring of ongoing study quality and perform valid statistical analysis. Our data pipelines are primarily written in R, with some SQL. RStudio is our IDE of choice. The R codebase is heavily reliant on the Tidyverse suite of packages. Tools like RMarkdown, Quarto, and Shiny are used for reporting and collaborating with non-data colleagues.

Summary of the Center and our Research

The Center for Health Outcomes and Population Equity (HOPE) at the University of Utah Huntsman Cancer Institute, headed by Dr. David Wetter, conducts community-based, implementation science, and clinical research that focuses on health inequities, healthcare system change, behavioral risk factors, chronic and infectious disease prevention, screening and vaccination, healthcare systems, and the use of state of the science mobile health technologies for both assessment and intervention. The center’s expansive portfolio of research projects collect data from a variety of sources that include ecological momentary assessments, electronic health records, population health management, global positioning system/geographical information system, on-body sensors/accelerometry, surveys, and text messaging. Please visit our website to become more familiar with our current research and to learn more about the center: Center for HOPE | University of Utah Health | University of Utah Health. We also collaborate with Guilherme Del Fiol and various other faculty and staff in the University’s Department of Biomedical informatics. Also, various Biostatistics faculty serve as investigators on many of our projects.

The Position

We are looking to hire a Research Data Analyst/Manager (or Research Data Manager I – depending on experience).

While the official job posting will say more about the details of the role, I really think this could be a great position for someone younger in their statistical/data career. It’s an opportunity to build some very strong programming skills through working with a wide array of complex data, with the goal of supporting large rigorous studies focused on addressing issues in behavioral health and health inequities. Someone who does well in this role will also tap into and develop their statistical and research mindset. The candidate will have the opportunity to collaborate with behavioral health researchers, biomedical informaticists, software engineers, implementation scientists, statisticians. For the right candidate, there can be opportunities to engage in statistical analyses for peer-reviewed publications. Lastly, for what it’s worth, I’ll be supervising the position and it’s certainly a high priority of mine to offer helpful mentorship to whoever we hire, hopefully, giving them an opportunity to build both technical and soft skills, ideally leading to a budding data or research career.

I should also say share that we have a preference for R, SQL, or Python programming skills, but we prioritize getting someone who is already a good programmer and data investigator over someone with skills in a specific syntax. Overall, we plan to take note of candidates who seem to be a great fit for our team and needs.

We are looking to fill one of the two positions, which are identical in function, according to the amount of experience a candidate has.

1. Research Data Manager/Analyst (Master’s graduate or a couple years of experience):

2. Research Data Manager I (proficient Undergraduate graduate):

Anyone with questions about the role is welcome to reach out to me via email (see below).

Cheers,

Brian Orleans

Brian.orleans@hci.utah.edu

Apply to this position

See links above.

Thank you

Your new job listing is now live on RStudio Community. Sorry for the delay here.

I, and our job posting form, did some light formatting of your text, so please have a review to ensure it's still in line with what you'd like to share.

It will be up and visible for one month. If you'd like to remove it early, or extend it, or have any questions, just let me know.

Curtis Kephart

This topic was automatically closed after 31 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.