Changing default width/height for geom_jitter and lineend for geom_line

As I don't have huge number of data points, but enough that they will often overlap and obfuscate other points, I like to use geom_jitter but limit the spread of the data. So I'll often call ... + geom_jitter(width = 0.1, height = 0) and get the desired results. Is there a way to change the default settings though so I don't have to type that every time?

From a bit of googling, I found the update_geom_defaults function and have used that successfully to change the shape and size of geom_point, but when I try to update the jitter geom, I get an error:

update_geom_defaults("jitter", list(width = 0.1, height = 0))
Error: Can't find `geom` called "jitter"

and indeed, it does seem that when I follow the reply in r - ggplot: How to set default color for all geoms? - Stack Overflow to get the defaults for all geoms, jitter does not exist. Is there a reason for this and/or a work around?

Finally, as the title indicates, I'm also having another problem updating the default lineend for geom_line.

This works:

ggplot(mtcars, aes(x = disp, mpg)) +
  geom_line(lineend = "round", size = 5) +
  facet_grid(. ~ gear)

but this doesn't (the size aesthetic works, but lineend doesn't):

update_geom_defaults("line", list(lineend = "round", size = 5))
ggplot(mtcars, aes(x = disp, mpg)) +
  geom_line() +
  facet_grid(. ~ gear)

For what it's worth, I'm using Rstudio 1.2.930, ggplot 3.0.0. Everything else is up to date.

Edit: from looking at the defaults for geom_line, lineend does not exist while size does so maybe that's why when I use update_geom_defaults with geom_line, I get the results above?