"character" popping up on my console window instead of the data I ned

I´m trying to work with some data from camera traps. I´ve uploaded the archieve from a bloc of notes document and then when I try to run commands as summary, most of the data is not represented, the word character appears instead. Any advice please? I´ll be very grateful.

The data is being read as character strings, it can be do to many causes, like a non standard NA placeholder for example. We would need some raw sample data and the code you are using to import the data to give you any specific advice.

Another option for you would be to try parsing the numeric data afterwards with as.numeric()

If you need more specific help, please provide a proper REPRoducible EXample (reprex) illustrating your issue.

1 Like

I agree with @andresrcs . When I use as.numeric() in my code, I usually get a report of NAs introduced by coercion, which is okay since it is being run in the way we want. Another alternative is to manually import the dataset, from which you can change each column to whatever string is necessary. In my data comparisons, I usually change everything I want to Character string, since I usually have characters of > or < alongside the numbers. Just something to consider.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.