Chess(.com) Dashboard - Shiny Contest Submission

Chess(.com) Dashboard

Authors: Claudio Paladini

Abstract: Users of Chesss.com, a popular platform to play chess online, are prompted to enter their username and view a report, including recommendations, based on their games and inputs.

Full Description: # Chess.com Dashboard

Intro

My project is an interactive report for any chess.com user. The report provides an overview of trends, seasonalities and other descriptive statistics as well as a set of recommendations.

The app is made up of 4 pages and makes use of the chess.com API to access player games history, which will be explored in the following sections.

Dashboard

The first page contains three sections:

1. Overall win, lose, draw stats by colour.
  2. Wins and Games over different seasonalities (i.e. hour, weekday, month).
  3. User rating and games over time.

Openings

The openings page has two tabs, the "Openings" and the "Recommend" tabs. Both follow a sidebar layout.
The first, "Openings", shows a games/wins chart across all the openings, based on the user input. The user can specify a minimum number of games as well as the number of moves (Depth) of each opening as filters. This gives a clear view of openings that a user uses a lot but shouldn't, or openings that work and should be used more.

The "Recommend" tab responds to the same filters as the "Openings" tab but displays the openings on the chessboard, making the best and worst openings easier to remember.

Table

The table page contains a table of the user's games that can be downloaded as a .csv making the raw data more accessible.

Info

The "Info" page is instead just a brief description of the app and the resources it uses.

API

One of the resources the app makes use of is the chess.com API. The app also uses a library available on GitHub (i.e."paladinic/r.chess.com") which provides an interface to the API which collects and formats the data.

Conclusion

On top of the features above, the app includes responsive styling which accommodates mobile users. The insight it provides can improve the player's strategy and understanding of the game.

Keywords: plotly, rchess, paladinic/r.chess.com
Shiny app: https://paladinic.shinyapps.io/shiny_chess/
Repo: GitHub - paladinic/shiny_chess
RStudio Cloud: Posit Cloud

Thumbnail:

Full image:

4 Likes