choose.dir() results in NA in RStudio IDE but not in R gui

Hi all

I am using
RStudio 2023.06.1+524 "Mountain Hydrangea" Release (547dcf861cac0253a8abb52c135e44e02ba407a1, 2023-07-07) for windows
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) RStudio/2023.06.1+524 Chrome/110.0.5481.208 Electron/23.3.0 Safari/537.36

with R
R version 4.3.1 (2023-06-16 ucrt) -- "Beagle Scouts"
Copyright (C) 2023 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

When I attempt to use choose.dir() in the console or a script in RStudio IDE, I get NA. If I do it in the R gui using the same R install, it works as expected.

[1] NA

I know, install new version of the IDE. Except I can't because I don't have admin privileges. Is that my only fix?

I would like to share my findings, in case they can help identifying the source of the problem.

I am using the latest version of RStudio (just downloaded it), on Windows 10:
RStudio 2023.06.2+561 "Mountain Hydrangea" Release (de44a3118f7963972e24a78b7a1ad48b4be8a217, 2023-08-25) for windows
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) RStudio/2023.06.2+561 Chrome/110.0.5481.208 Electron/23.3.0 Safari/537.36

Also with R 4.3.1.

I confirmed that, when I started RStudio and typed choose.dir() in the console, no dialog box and got NA immediately. This happened again and again if I typed choose.dir() several times.

However, interestingly, if I typed choose.files(), it works, with a dialog box. After the call to choose.files(), choose.dir() will work in the same session, with the dialog box for selecting a folder. However, the problem occurred again when I quitted RStudio and started it again. (In case it is relevant: I did not save the workspace.)

1 Like

I am happy to know it is not just me or my system (sorry). I too found that choose.files() works as expected AND after calling it and selecting a file, choose,dir() works.

So this is a known issue. I am sorry, I did not know I could/should check for an issue on github.

Seems the only solution is to downgrade R. It is not clear to me how many versions back one must go.

Thanks for the information. Then it is not an RStudio issue, but an R issue, or, specifically, an Rterm issue. Based on the GitHub issue discussion, I tried and confirmed the same problem also occurred in VS Code running Rterm.

If you really need to use choose.dir() in the console (Rterm), a not-so-nice workaround is to call choose.files() first. Once you have called it, then in this session of R, choose.dir() will work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.