Coloring Geographical Maps in R

I am working with the R programming language.

I made the following map:

library(sf)  
library(leaflet)
library(leafgl)
library(colourvalues)
library(leaflet.extras)

nc <- st_read(system.file("gpkg/nc.gpkg", package="sf"), quiet = TRUE) %>% 
  st_transform(st_crs(4326)) %>% 
  st_cast('POLYGON')

leaflet(data = nc) %>% addPolygons( stroke = FALSE) %>% addTiles(group = "OSM") %>%  addProviderTiles(provider = providers$OpenStreetMap) %>% addPolygons(data = nc, weight=1, popup = ~NAME,
                label = ~NAME, group = "name", col = 'blue') %>% 
    addSearchFeatures(targetGroups  = 'name', options = searchFeaturesOptions(zoom=10, openPopup=TRUE))

I wanted to color the polygons different colors so that they are a bit easier to see - I did this by randomly assigning colors to the polygons:

nc$color <- sample(c("red", "blue", "green", "yellow", "purple"), nrow(nc), replace = TRUE)

leaflet(data = nc) %>% 
    addTiles(group = "OSM") %>% 
    addProviderTiles(provider = providers$OpenStreetMap) %>% 
    addPolygons(data = nc, weight=1, popup = ~NAME,
                label = ~NAME, group = "name", fillColor = ~color, fillOpacity = 0.5) %>% 
    addSearchFeatures(targetGroups  = 'name', options = searchFeaturesOptions(zoom=10, openPopup=TRUE))

My Question: Taking inspiration from this famous computer science problem Four color theorem - Wikipedia, I would like to randomly color the polygons in such a way that no bordering polygons have the same color.

I think that I first need to convert the shapefile/map into a network graph:

library(igraph)
adj <- st_touches(nc, sparse = TRUE)
g <- graph_from_adjacency_matrix(as.matrix(adj))
plot(g)

I am not sure how to continue this problem - currently, I thought of an indirect method where I simply choose many different random colors to decrease the odds of two polygons having the same color, but I am interested in learning about new and creative ways to solve my original problem.

Can someone please show me how to do this?

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.