command + enter is running my entire Rmd script

I keep unpredictably running into a situation where I'm in RStudio writing a Markdown document, and command + enter runs the entire script, not just the command that the cursor is in. It doesn't happen all the time and I can't figure out any pattern. This is especially annoying because I have a giant data frame that gets loaded in at the beginning, so it takes a lot of time. I can't seem to find a solution or evidence that others have run into this. Any suggestions? I'm running RStudio 2021.09.0 Build 351 for macOS, and I'm using Catalina 10.15.7.

Can you check in your settings to which command the shortcut is assigned too in your RStudio IDE ?

Sure, Cmd + Enter is assigned to "Run Current Line or Selection", and that's how it usually works. It has definitely occurred to me that I might be accidentally selecting the whole script before I hit cmd+enter, but as far as I can tell, I'm not doing that.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue. CTRL + ENTER works for me in last RStudio version.
You could try update your rstudio IDE to last daily to see if this change something.

Maybe there is a conflict in keyboard assignement.

I am going to move this issue in RStudio IDE category as it better fits there.

I'll take a closer look at the IDE. For now, I've commented out the command that loads my dataset, so that even if Cmd+Enter does run the whole thing, at least it won't take as long.

Maybe related to this IDE feature

"There is one chunk name that imbues special behaviour: setup . When you’re in a notebook mode, the chunk named setup will be run automatically once, before any other code is run."

Aha! The chunk where I read in the data IS called setup, and I am in notebook mode! I will change the name of that chunk immediately. Thank you so much!

The "setup" chunk is very useful for package loading and setting global options, I would move data loading into a separate chunk instead of getting reed of "setup"

Good catch @andresrcs ! I did not thought of that and was mislead by "entire Rmd script" running.

Thank you !

@ae_vcu

If your question's been answered, would you mind choosing a solution? It helps other people see which questions still need help, or find solutions if they have similar problems. Here’s how to do it:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.