"Connections" pane shows weird results when connecting to a server

database
odbc
sql

So, a weird thing is happening to my colleague. We have a similar setup, but once she gets connected to one of our SQL Servers, she doesn't see our databases or tables. She sees this:

When she runs sql queries within an Rmarkdown file, they execute fine.
What could be the problem?

cc @edgararuiz

Hey @taraas, I believe this is either an issue with encoding, or mismatched R package versions. Can you share with me the function call used to connect to the database, and also the sessionInfo()?

Thanks

FWIW I had this issue yesterday on my Mac. I could connect but I got these same weird one letter tables. Looked exactly like what @taraas shows above.

My situation ended up being conflicting installs of unixODBC and some interplay between the database access packages (DBI, and odbc). I had to remove one of my conflicting unixODBC installs (Homebrew in my case). Which left me with a MacPorts install of unixODBC that seemed to be working. Then I had to remove DBI, and odbc form R.. and iir I blew up tidyverse too, although may not have needed to. Then I restarted my R session and rebuilt DBI and odbc packages. I was then, after a reboot, finally able to get stable access to my sqlserver.

I suspect, but cannot prove, that I had built different database access packages under differing configurations of unixODBC.

you mileage will vary...

I'm looking forward to when R Studio just ships with its own unixODBC stack.

What a time to be alive!
We'd be bored out of our minds if we didn't have these struggles.

we'd probably play sports or interact with our families or something ridiculous like that...