I often thought about a data flow viewer fo organize several scripts or code chunks within a project.
The idea is not new to R http://r.analyticflow.com/en/ and of course there are many many good examples of non r solutions out there (also for statistics/machine learning).
However, with a bit of thought, this might be a nice helper and could offer lots of possibilities
- visualise workflow also for collaboration and presentations (also like Anyone else interested in a minimap for Rstudio?)
- encouraging modular development, clean APIs between tasks and maybe also strong typing
- automated caching between tasks
- indicate parallel tasks
- switching between languages like R + Python in IDE
- several things like comments, codeprevies, other metainformations could come up as tool tip
Were / are there thoughts about integrating such a feature into the IDE?