data frame or dataframe?

Terminology in data science and computing is messy. I came across a StackOverflow suggested edit that wanted to rewrite all OP's dataframe to data frame.

• The R source dictionary includes dataframe, not data frame, yet a grep shows this is not the convention.

frame

• The data.frame function includes a dot that suggests a space
  • Github fails to give conclusive result (dataframe & data frame), but makes it more complex. Pythonistas prefer dataframe. Microsoft disagrees!
  • On StackOverlow, data frame gives 76,079 results ([r] tag) and 120,469 without, dataframe has 66,709 ([r] tag) and 333,282 without.
  • Oxford English & Cambridge dictionaries see and hear no evil - neither are present

I'm inclined to say dataframe, similar to database, where emphasis is not placed on frame, but rather on data.

What is your to-go-to spelling, and why?

I wanna go with dataframe because i love it. I always write dataframe in the documents, although, I am not quite sure if is it acceptable to all or not. I think It should be together like the database you mentioned. Similar to a database a dataframe reframes the collected data and then we accessed it in a nice readable frame. So we can call it as dataframe.

Interesting question! I use both interchangeably. On one hand dataframe is like database. On the other hand auto correct converted dataframe to data frame but also data frame is similar to data table.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.