Data not saving

I am currently taking a course with Ohio University using R Studio. Every time I input data and save if I get out of the program and go back in it does not actually save. This is becoming a serious issue for me, due to no one else in the class having this issue I am having a hard time explaining to my professor what is going on and why my work is not completed. I have been savings my codes on a word doc and sending them to him to input for me, for some reason if he does it they will save. Any idea what is wrong on my end? not sure I have any capabilities as far as settings. Thanks!

Where are you trying to save the data? Is it to your local computer or to a remote location like a network drive or cloud storage?

Are you trying to save a data file or code you have written or both?

What steps are you taking to save the data? Please explain this in detail

When you return to the program, what are you doing that tells you the data did not save?

When you say "the program", do you mean RStudio or R?

Hi, and welcome!

Please see the FAQ: What's a reproducible example (`reprex`) and how do I do one? Using a reprex, complete with representative data will attract quicker and more answers. This question doesn't require one; however, as @FJCC notes, there's too little to go on.

The only thing that comes to mind is to send your code in a plain text file instead of a Word document. That not only requires fewer steps to read in correctly but is easier to trace where it is being saved to. (If this is being done in R or RStudio it's the directory returned with

getwd()

Also please see the homework policy to know which different types of questions have guidelines for student work.

Hello! I apologize I am only turning here because my professor seems to think this cannot just happen to my workspace, and not to other students and he has no other insight for me. I am referring to R studio as the "Program" when I type codes into the code chunk and press the save button or even ctrl s my data is not saving in the code chunks. When I go out of R studio at any point after I saved my work and go back into the R studio under my task I was working on the data I just saved is gone. I basically have to start over every time I get back into R Studio because it is not retaining anything I type in and save.

Thank you for the replies, I was unaware of the rules for students and homework questions.

1 Like

Also, we are working on R Studio Cloud

Unfortunately, I have no experience with RStudio Cloud. Despite that limitation, I will ask, or repeat a few questions:

1. Are you sure you are typing your code in the Script pane and not in the console? One way to tell the difference is if you type a command and execute it simply by pressing the Enter key, you are in the console. Executing a line of code using the keyboard in the Script pane requires pressing CTRL + Enter.

2. When you return to the program, what are you doing that tells you the data did not save?

3. What response do you get from the command getwd()?

Oh! That's different, the cloud version!

Because it's such a great tool, it's easy to forget that the open version, at least, is still in beta, \beta

There has been a rash of this type of problem recently it seems. I'm reliably informed that the RStudio cloud team monitors this tag and responds, although it seems to take longer than everyone would wish. Often, a server administrator on their end needs to force quit the process serving your project and restart it. Sometimes, but not always, data is recovered. I can't make any promises, though.

I hope with this information your professor will understand the reasons for the problem.

In the meantime, it may be possible to use R Studio Desktop as a partial replacement for coding and saving your work to be copied into the cloud instance when it repaired.

Thank you @technocrat I sent this information to my professor.

1 Like

Hello, maybe data recovery too can help, you can try Bitwar Data Recovery. This tool is free and effective and can recover all types of files. So maybe you an also have a try. Hope it can help you anyway.

It is not possible to use (even install) this tool on RStudio Cloud

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.