Sr Manager, Data Science- Maps and Uber AI
Full Time / San Francisco, United States
About the Role
You'll be the senior data science lead for the team that creates Uber's geospatial and location technologies (Maps), and the team that develops machine learning approaches in collaboration with the product teams (Uber AI). These technologies power the core trip experiences externally and core decision systems internally, and include:
- The location platform that combines multiple signals including GPS and inertial sensors to estimate user location, for many use cases such as suggesting a pickup point to riders or navigating drivers.
- The mapping platform that performs ETA prediction, routeline optimization, navigation, origin and destination setting (such as geosearch), and other geospatial technologies. These outputs are used throughout a trip cycle, from key decision systems such as pricing and matching, to trip experiences such as pickup and dropoff.
- AI Engagements, which partners with teams throughout Uber to incorporate machine learning and AI methods. Examples include fraud detection, transcribing menus to automate onboarding of restaurants for UberEats, neural networks on sensor data to detect dangerous driving, and deep learning to improve ETA prediction.
What You'll Do
- Lead a team of 3-5 managers and dozens of individual contributors.
- Work closely with leads from engineering and product, and upstream and downstream teams, create, align, and execute the direction of the product development.
- Create the technical vision for the team on both data analytic foundations and advanced models.
- Communicate to executive stakeholders and other company leaders.
- Build a strong data science team by hiring and mentoring. Provide technical and professional guidance, mentorship, and people management.
- Improve the understanding of data-driven product development across Uber.
- Provide technical and leadership feedback and guidance to the broader data science community in the company.
What You'll Need
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative disciplines.
- 10+ years of experience in data science related fields. 5+ years of experience in people management. Experience in managing a large team of data scientists (20+) and managers (4+).
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, experimentation, machine learning, and analytics. Hands on experience in developing and prototyping statistical and machine learning models.
- Coding and SQL proficiency and ability to develop statistical analysis and algorithm prototyping in Python or R. Proficiency in Java is a plus. Proficiency with real-time production engineering stack is a plus.
- Passionate about Uber's problem space, motivating, empathetic, truth seeking, and holding a high technical bar.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.