Manager, Data Science - Platforms
Full-Time / San Francisco, California
About the Role
You'll be the data science manager and technical lead for one of the data science teams in Platforms. These teams are responsible for powering the core trip experiences externally and core decision making systems internally:
- The mapping platform that performs ETA prediction, routeline optimization, navigation, origin and destination setting (such as geosearch), and other geospatial technologies. These outputs are used throughout a trip cycle, from key decision systems such as pricing and matching, and core trip experiences such as pickup, dropoff, and navigation experiences.
- The Fares platform that determines the fare for both riders and drivers, and powers the user experiences associated with pricing.
- The Data & ML platform that delivers state-of-the-art tools/solutions for data scientists & analysts across Uber, including our internal ML platform.
- The Growth Platform consists of platforms for managing customer identity, communications, and CRM campaigns.
- Customer Obsession DS enables magical customer support experiences through in-app automation, experimentation, and NLP/chat-bot applications.
- Finance DS improves financial intelligence and decision-making through scalable models/insights to drive efficient capital allocation and to improve long-term profitability.
You'll be working closely with engineering, product, and cross-org stakeholders to establish and execute the direction of the product development. This includes crafting statistical, machine learning, or analytical solutions to achieve business goals, guiding the team's direction through data-driven insights and algorithmic thinking, and providing team members with feedback on their work. You will also be responsible for the peoples management for your team members, from performance management to professional development.
What You'll Do
- Work closely with upstream and downstream stakeholders to align on product / model / algorithm improvement, and facilitate collaboration on planning and execution.
- Develop creative solutions and build prototypes to business problems using algorithms based on machine learning, statistics, and statistics.
- Propose and guide the framework of data and analysis to drive business insight and facilitate decisions.
- Provide technical and professional guidance, mentorship, and people management to data scientists and product analysts.
- Communicate with senior leadership and cross-functional teams.
What You'll Need
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative disciplines. Alternatively, a BS with 5 or more years of experience in relevant fields.
- 1+ years experience managing a team of data scientists.
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, experimentation, machine learning, and analytics.
- Experience in experimental design and analysis.
- Experience in model development and prototyping in Python. These models include machine learning, statistical, economical, and optimization.
- Coding proficiency and ability to develop statistical analysis and algorithm prototyping in Python or R. Proficiency in Java is a plus. Proficiency with real-time production engineering stack is a plus.
- Proficiency in SQL.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.