Days Since in Plot

I have a current graph that I am trying to produce where I am calculating the total number of deaths in a given data set. I have used the filter function to begin the count after 50 deaths have occurred for that plot. However rather than show the months at the bottom of the plot, I would like it to show days since the 50th death? As-well, how can I allow this plot to start at the origin. Attached I have included my current plot and code I am working with.

#these libraries are necessary
library(readxl)
library(httr)
library(tidyverse)

#create the URL where the dataset is stored with automatic updates every day
url <- paste("https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-geographic-disbtribution-worldwide-",format(Sys.time(), "%Y-%m-%d"), ".xlsx", sep = "")

#download the dataset from the website to a local temporary file
GET(url, authenticate(":", ":", type="ntlm"), write_disk(tf <- tempfile(fileext = ".xlsx")))

#read the Dataset sheet into “R”
data <- read_excel(tf)

data %>%
  filter(countriesAndTerritories %in% c("Spain", "Australia", "United_Kingdom", "Japan", "Germany", "Belgium", "Italy", "South_Korea", "China", "Canada", "United_States_of_America")) %>%
  arrange(countriesAndTerritories, dateRep) %>% 
  group_by(countriesAndTerritories) %>% 
  mutate(cum_deaths = cumsum(deaths)) %>% 
  filter(cum_deaths >= 50) %>% 
  ggplot(aes(dateRep, deaths, colour = countriesAndTerritories)) +
  #geom_point() +
  scale_y_log10() +
  geom_smooth()

You can group by countriesAndTerritories and then subtract the minimum date, which is by design the first date with cumulative deaths >= 50:

data %>%
  mutate(dateRep = as.Date(dateRep)) %>% # Convert from POSIXct to Date class
  filter(countriesAndTerritories %in% c("Spain", "Australia", "United_Kingdom", 
                                        "Japan", "Germany", "Belgium", "Italy", "South_Korea", 
                                        "China", "Canada", "United_States_of_America")) %>%
  arrange(countriesAndTerritories, dateRep) %>% 
  mutate(cum_deaths = cumsum(deaths)) %>% 
  filter(cum_deaths >= 50) %>% 
  mutate(days.elapsed = dateRep - min(dateRep)) %>% 
  ggplot(aes(days.elapsed, deaths, colour = countriesAndTerritories)) +
    #geom_point(s) +
    scale_y_log10() +
    geom_smooth() + 
    theme_bw()

Thanks @joels, this was exactly what I was looking for

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.