Dear R teachers: what do you guys think about 7th grader's learning experience at a camp that taught him R?

My Experience of Using the Statistical Language R | Nathan Hadjiyski | TEDxYouth@AnnArbor

kids working with R and loving it is always :100: in my book.

that being said, I’m not sure that I would have used the native GUI and base R with kids, although he very clearly learned from the experience. it’s difficult to assess whether these were the right materials without knowing more about how kids were selected for the experience.

We can’t generalize on this; whether to use the console and “native” GUI (I assume we mean the Windoze thing) depends on the student’s individual comfort level.

I’ve seen many examples of 7-8th graders happily coding in Java or Python on the command line. If they’re committed the way that TEDxYouth speaker was, they can handle it.

I’ve also seen plenty of 1st-2nd year college students who are terrified when you ask them to do “xyz” in the console. The bottom line is, if they want to do this for real, they need to get comfortable eventually…

John