Definition of error "hadabend" ?

For years we've been seeing the "hadabend" errors in RStudio and I've never seen any official explaination or definition of what these are.
Does anyone know what they are and if they'll ever be fixed?
ERROR session hadabend; LOGGED FROM: rstudio::core::Error

"hadabend" is short for HAD an ABnormal END. It means the session didn't shut down cleanly, and the user probably saw an error when resuming that said "Your R session crashed".

The most common cause of these errors is crashing native code in R packages. It's hard to know more without more context. If you're using RStudio Server, you might turn on crash reporting to collect some dumps for analysis:

https://docs.rstudio.com/ide/server-pro/server-management.html#automated-crash-reporting

Thanx @jonathan , I suspected it was something like that but I've never seen an explaination. I might turn on crash reporting for a while to see if we can identify the offending packages.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.