DiagramR missing edge_aes, edge_data?

I've just been trying some of the examples for DiagrameR and it looks like edge_aes and some other functions like edge_data are missing from the package. Is there another package I need to add?

The help viewer doesn't show these functions and, for example, the following produces an error saying edge_aes can't be found:

suppressPackageStartupMessages(library(DiagrammeR))
a_graph <-
    create_graph(
        directed = FALSE
    ) %>%
    add_node(label="+") %>%
    add_node(label="b") %>%
    add_node(label="c") %>%
    add_edge(
        from = 1,
        to = 2,
        rel = "interacted_with",
        edge_aes = edge_aes(
            color = "red",
            arrowhead = "vee",
            tooltip = "Red Arrow") %>%
    add_edge(from = 1, to = 3))
#> Error in edge_aes(color = "red", arrowhead = "vee", tooltip = "Red Arrow"): could not find function "edge_aes"

But the following works fine:

suppressPackageStartupMessages(library(DiagrammeR))
a_graph <-
    create_graph(
        directed = FALSE
    ) %>%
    add_node(label="+") %>%
    add_node(label="b") %>%
    add_node(label="c") %>%
    add_edge(
        from = 1,
        to = 2,
        rel = "interacted_with") %>%
    add_edge(from = 1, to = 3)

Thanks,
Dan

1 Like

Hi Dan,

Just a heads up that I don't think Richard Iannone is on here (yet).*

Hopefully someone else is on here, and will know more about DiagrammeR (I've only used the package a few times, and always with GraphViz or Mermaid). If this Q languishes here for a few days without a response, you might want to reach out to Richard directly.

In the meantime, I'll definitely keep an eye out for anything related to this! :+1:

Mara

[:flushed: if you are, sorry, Rich]

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up

1 Like

I think I figured it out. The current release that I downloaded from CRAN is 0.9.2 but the README I get but when I follow the link in the DESCRIPTION file takes me to the current code and README on github which hasn't been released yet.

The unreleased README and code on github does have edge_aes and friends.

Guess I'll have to stick with run of the mill colors for now :sunglasses:

Just curious... is it possible for a package to also include it's current README file so that it appears in the help viewer in R Studio? I notice some packages include various kinds of doc's with links that appear in the R Studio help viewer.

1 Like

That's a good question, and one that I don't know the answer to. I think that it would be confusing to have a mismatch of READMEs in the console, but that it would be possible to link to the dev. README…

Thank you for this discussion. I was scratching my head for a little while on why edge_aes was not working.