different performance rstudio 1.4.1106 and 1.2.5033 [SOLVED blas/lapack setup]

Hi,
I'm experiencing the same script to run faster on rstudio 1.2.5033 than in 1.4.1106. It seems related to the former using all the threads in the CPU while the latter only one. I'm working in a Linux Mint 20 environment of two highly similar, albeit different, machines with the same 5.4 kernel. I am not an expert and I do not understand what is going on.

Can anyone please point me to the right documentation to better understand this different behavior?

Thanks in advance

RStudio doesn't implement any parallelism, most R functions are single threaded out of the box and it is up to you to implement parallel processing. I would suspect your R setup is different in both machines (other than RStudio).

Maybe if you profile your code in both machines, that would shed light on the problem. Also, check your sessionInfo() and look for differences.

Thanks. I'll dig into it (machines are busy right now) and post if it can be useful to the community.

Hi again,
thanks a lot for your help, you were totally right it was the R setup. I forgot that my Linux distribution install by default generic BLAS/LAPACK libs and installing openBLAS fixed the issue. FYI R script uses a lot matrix computations so it makes a huge difference.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.