Difficulty loading tidyverse package

Hi,

This is my first time positing in the R Studio Community. I am fairly new to R. Ultimately, I am just trying to load the tidyverse package. It was worked in the past (using "library(tidyverse)" but when I tried today, I receive the following error message.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘tidyverse’ in loadNamespace(j <- i[[1L]], c(lib.loc, .libPaths()), versionCheck = vI[[j]]):
namespace ‘dplyr’ 1.0.2 is already loaded, but >= 1.0.3 is required
In addition: Warning message:
package ‘tidyverse’ was built under R version 4.0.4

Do you have an old version of the tidyverse? The dplyr version is old.

Try install.packages("tidyverse") or install.packages("dplyr")

Thank you for your suggestion! I've tried re-installing the packages and I'm getting the same error message.

If you get the exact same error message then you haven't installed the packages successfully, please post the complete output message you get when you run this command.

install.packages("dplyr")

install.packages("dplyr")
WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages but is not currently installed. Please download and install the appropriate version of Rtools before proceeding:

https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/Rtools/
Installing package into ‘C:/Users/chris/Documents/R/win-library/4.0’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
also installing the dependency ‘vctrs’

trying URL 'https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/contrib/4.0/dplyr_1.0.5.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 1331338 bytes (1.3 MB)
downloaded 1.3 MB

package ‘vctrs’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
Warning in install.packages :
cannot remove prior installation of package ‘vctrs’
problem copying C:\Users\chris\Documents\R\win-library\4.0\00LOCK\vctrs\libs\x64\vctrs.dll to C:\Users\chris\Documents\R\win-library\4.0\vctrs\libs\x64\vctrs.dll: Permission denied
restored ‘vctrs’
package ‘dplyr’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
cannot remove prior installation of package ‘dplyr’
problem copying C:\Users\chris\Documents\R\win-library\4.0\00LOCK\dplyr\libs\x64\dplyr.dll to C:\Users\chris\Documents\R\win-library\4.0\dplyr\libs\x64\dplyr.dll: Permission denied
restored ‘dplyr’

The downloaded binary packages are in
C:\Users\chris\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpcf4nMo\downloaded_packages

When I try installing "Rtools" I get the following error as well. Could this be solved by just downloading the latest version of R?

WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages but is not currently installed. Please download and install the appropriate version of Rtools before proceeding:

https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/Rtools/
Installing package into ‘C:/Users/chris/Documents/R/win-library/4.0’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
package ‘Rtools’ is not available (for R version 4.0.2)

You have a permission issue, the package is not been installed, double check your write permission on that folder.

About this, Rtools is not an R package, it is a separate software that you need to install in your system, you can download it from here.
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/

Thank you for your suggestions! It seems as though the folder does have write permission.

Hard to help you with system specific issues, an alternative would be to run RStudio as administrator and install into the system level package library instead. You can change the default library folder by setting your R_LIBS_SITE environmental variable on a .Reviron or .Rprofile file

# In a .Renviron file you can set it by adding this line
R_LIBS_SITE="C:\\Program Files\\R\\R-4.0.3\\library"

For a more detailed explanation, you can read this blog post

Thank you so much for all of your helpful suggestions. I ended up reinstalling R and it seemed to do the trick.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.